Pocket picked at Juatchak

dddave

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have my sympathy, mate. Happened to me on a baht taxi in Pattaya last year, when I was distracted by a team using pretty girls :doah:

I was mainly annoyed with the thieves, but partly annoyed with myself for being so careless.

Nowadays I only carry enough money that I need for shopping, a night out or whatever. Never carry credit cards unless I definitely intend to use them. I now have one of those wallets on a chain attached to your belt loops when in crowded places - quickly got used to it, and gives me added confidence if (err.. when I get pissed!)

:beer:

ThaiHome said:

I know a couple of people that keep a thick rubber band around their wallet. They claim the friction makes it difficult to have someone take it out without you noticing the pull.

Aye. My old man taught me that one when I was a lad. Works a treat.

And I never keep money in my wallet, always in a pocket by itself. Wallet only holds ID, name cards, credit cards & BTS/MRT passes.

Cheers,

SD

Hi Jitagawn,

Could you elaborate when you say "beware when they ask you about your shoes" ?

The reason I ask is around 6 months ago I was walking through Tokyu on the way out of MBK when a woman approached me and started to ask me about my sandals, where did I buy them, etc.

She was not Thai, said she was Malay, but when her phone rang and she started talking it sounded more like Tagalog (Filipino).

She was around 40, not too bad looking, spoke excellent English, and was very forward in a flirty way. As she approached me there was a guy with her, well dressed and wearing Rayban Aviator sunglassed who slipped away into the nearby Bata shoeshop.

There was something very suspicious about the whole thing, she seemed quite nervous and edgy. Her eyes were reddened, and her skin marked. I told her to go and meet her boyfriend (accomplice) in the shoeshop where I could see him waiting, there are plenty of sandals in there.

My "dodgy situation alert" radar was flashing red. She must have sensed this, and not gone in for the kill.

It has bugged me ever since what this was about. Is this a well used scam ?

Cheers,

INTJ.

"Where did you get your shoes?"

Its the old opening "hook line" in Philipino confidence scams generally operated with two people. As in your case

the woman is the front,frequently fine looking and the ensuing

con varies from card credit card cheat often involving a card game or a jewlery con also using cards and the marks own

sense of greed.

They operate at Talad JJ in the central area in front of the bank.A couple o f months ago one asked me about my shoes and I just laughed at them in Thai and mentioned khun kamlang Kee kgong,gaw...leveling my eyes at them khun yahk cha teet cook leuprao?etc etc and they were off.

Maybe 15 years ago an old GF of mine an overly bright Phi Beta blond looker got snagged for 3600$.Ha so much for college training. ::

She actually also could have gotten raped and killed so she still got off lucky.

:(

Expect more of things like this. Economy is bad, inflation is going up, oil is driving food prices up, people are in debt and using one credit card to pay off another. They see a farang and think it is their ticket out of hell.

I have tripled the security at my house and constantly arm the alarm, even if I am home. Gives me peace of mind and hopefully my house will look more secure than the others and they will be hit.

The last bugger did not see the huge siren on the front of my house, broke the back window and I am sure he shit himself when the alarm went off. You see his frantic footprints on my wall as he attemped to get the hell out of there. By the time he made it back to his motobike all the neighbours were standing outside. Too bad there was not a licence plate on the bike. Dont know why thai thieves are too stupid to look for an alarm first.

Of course, like in my case ,the police and security companies will not help and may even be in on it. The police suspected it was my own security company and hense I dont pay them anymore. Rather use the money to look after my self. Before neighbours thought I was silly to spend all that money on the alarm system, they think different now!

Must have been a lot of fun when you wore them. You don't belong to Opus Dei, do you???

yeh, they stole my idea and canceled my membership

Guest lazyphil

Bangkok the Asian Johannesburg equal??, you can buy a mansion in joburg or durban for peanuts but need dobermans and armed security, razor fencing.....is los getting close to these levels of madness?.....is this living the dream?...or nightmare?

Archived