Google decides to stop serving ads to NP.com

khunsanuk

Hi,

It mainly comes down to 2 parts, rack rental ($125/month) and bandwidth (and yes, our bandwidth is expensive, but also consistent).

While I am certain we could move to a $9.95 / month hosting company, we will almost certainly run into problems as those companies are not really expecting their customers to use 40-50Gb / month and run server intensive programs.

Sanuk!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What can I say,

Faaaark!

What a bunch of lily livered aresholes!

Have you also noticed now that people are diddling the google adsense idea?

If something is not quite right with your url, you often end up at a page full of google ads.

I've been seeing pages and pages of google ads with no real content, all over the place.

Once this gets out of hand, google ads will be diminished in value any way. It's the equivalent of printing way too many newspapers and dumping them to boost circulation.

Not that this helps the board in any way, sorry about that.

IMHO you got to start charging people to pass traffic on to them, once 360 is up perhaps flicking bookings to hotels might be an earner.

Cheers

Coss

Team telling me this site was in violation of its policies."

Yes I have expected that since I read more and more sex reports on this forum. Might want to change the policy on this. But on the other hand Nanaplaza without sex and whores is sort of like Macdonalds without burgers and ketchup..

Hard decsion. clean up the site and keep google, but less people would be interested in it. Or keep the theme of the site and go with less money like in the old pre-google days

Hi,

Thanks, but we already own our server. And to be honest I really do not know if a virtual dedicated server could handle the site. We are looking at 150K visits this month and the database is used quite intensely.

Anyway, I really do not know much about the hosting part (Jigger handles all of this), but I do know that anytime the board is slow or down I get swamped with emails / SMS / phonecalls. My concern is that those companies offering cheap hosting are not as reliable, which could result in site downage.

Coss:

"IMHO you got to start charging people to pass traffic on to them, once 360 is up perhaps flicking bookings to hotels might be an earner."

Yes, I agree and I am looking into this already. We may end up with a subdomain under thai360.com for hotel bookings.

Sanuk!

The server I am on is pretty good. The total cost is around $Aust 300 per year, which is about 8,500 baht. And I?m pulling serious traffic. People are surprised that the server is in Australia, but believe me, it works just great. That would save you a chunk of change.

I also know Gordon over at TalesofAsia has much lower costs than you, and his site probably pulls a similar amount of traffic to here AND it has a discussion forum too!

Stick

Hi,

While I have no doubt that your traffic is quite high as well, your site will get nowhere near the serverload as we are doing. As for TalesofAsia, no idea about their traffic, but the board is a lot smaller than this one (1,600 users vs 14,000; 36K posts vs 400K+).

Still, I will discuss things with Jigger and see what we can do to lower costs.

Sanuk!

And as an aside, I've never seen this board as quick for so long...recently, sure, its been occasionaly ok, so will be interesting to see if the speed holds up without Google Ads...you never really know the exact cause of the past bottlenecks...personally, I'm not a supporter of their shite...expensive to advertise with them...and why?...if a website is good, the traffic will find its way there whether Google exists or not imho. You had your membership and traffic well before Google came onto the scene. :beer:

I cant for the life of me understand why David at mango sauce alerted google to your site's content..... See 'Scott's' reply from Google, below;

"Thank you additionally for notifying us of other sites in our network that may be violating our policies. These sites will be reviewed for violations, and action will be taken if deemed necessary. Thank you for your concern in this matter.

Sincerely,

Scott

The Google AdSense Team"

Very strange that he would do this..... and completley fucked up your revenue stream in the process.

Archived