Please Don't Call them Whores!

zanemay

quote:

Originally posted by whosyourdaddy:

[QB]

I can relay about 10x as many stories of girls ripping off guys etc. and why they should be called a whore.

QB]

Who's "they"?

Some are bad and will rip guys off, some are not. Wise people don't denounce a whole group for the actions of a few bad apples in that group.

If it takes ripping a guy off or some such offence to be a "whore" then what are girls that are sweet (even if it's an act) and give services promised for a fair fee, and don't scam or steal from you?

Yes, if a woman has sex for money she's a whore. That is if you want to pretend the dictionary definition is complete.

Whore also implies immorality and unscrupulousness. If that's what you think of them then that's the word to use.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With all respect, I still can't quite see the importance of it all.

You can call a carrot a carrot, or a red longish vegetable grown in the ground, or a phallus-shaped red root with a bit of mud attached to it, or an edible fibrous root with a lot of healthy betacarotine in it, or ...

Maybe someone could ask the women in question if it makes any difference to them ...?

quote:

Originally posted by whosyourdaddy:

Thanks for your story..

I can relay about 10x as many stories of girls ripping off guys etc. and why they should be called a whore.

Just calling it as it is.

And by the way I am not a bitter old man. Just a wise young one.

After 20 trips to LOS I was ripped of once. She still was a sweety and gave me so much fun. She was the most energic, gigling, jumping, dancing girl I ever met. When we walked on Beach road everyone looked at us, smiling seeing her dancing on the street and the beach. Some guys asked if they could photograph her, so much fun she distributed around. I was really very, very happy. She took good care of me. Then, suddenly, she turned bitchy, she wanted a portable telephone, now, could not talk about something else anymore. I had to dump her. She was not a whore, neither any of the other many "ladies of the night" who made my day. Therefore, they are not whores.

Capito?????

A rose is a rose, is a rose is a rose.

Meaning?

No matter how we want to paint it they do a job that lots of Thai women would die of shame if they had to do. That's not to say that bgs shouldn't be treated with respect and as friends.

The reasons for entering the world's oldest profession are myriad, (fug me I'll have to stop reading Nite Owl or I'll be calling them demimondaines next). Maybe some feel that the issue of prostitution in LOS has too many grey areas to make a clear cut distinction between a whore/prostitute/hooker/bg and none bg etc.

Whore seems to be rather prosaic to me and I prefer the term Harlot. Then again, I dream of living in an age where men used to walk in front of locomotives with a red flag. Oh happy days.

Yes, too many grey areas. I prefer "tart" myself, it has a cheery sort of feeling to it.

If I absolutely had to use some kind of general terminology, then "sexworker" is the broad stroke term I would chose.

Anyway, why not be gracious when referring to Thai ladies of the night, it doesn't cost a thing.

I assume that we are all happy that they are here offering their services and making every effort to accomodate our carnal desires. If it weren't for the sanuk scene how many guys would actually spend time in Thailand? Reminds me of the poll, "What else do you like about Thailand?" Uh, the hot weather, the food, the exchange rate? How about the pollution, the double standards, the constant scamming?

We should all be grateful, certainly not condescending. Just my opinion. laugh.gif" border="0

It does matter because words carry emotional weight, and if you care to express yourself in the English language you should know that your choice of words can change the meaning of everything you say.

Of course, cultural nuances change from country to country; here in New York, call the wrong person a whore, and your silly white ass will be shot. It’s one of a handful of ‘fighting words’, throw it out and be prepared to throw down.

When I hear it on the street or see it here, it’s a plain label of absolute disrespect. If that is what you intend, fine, but don’t pretend it’s anything else.

One can put pretty labels to things to improve their image, but it never works for long.

Let me explain:

In the 1930s or '40s, Mahatma Gandhi started calling the "untouchables", who were unhappy with their lowly tag, "harijan"(children of God). Over the last decade or so, the word came to be regarded as an insult, and now the former "harijan" call themselves "dalit"(oppressed).

It's easy to predict what will happen to that term over time.

It's the same story with the Negro/Black/African American issue.

You can call the girls "princesses" or "goddesses" for example, but over time these terms will be regarded as terms of abuse as well. And then the discussion has to start all over again. So why bother?

Don`t call them whores`

Well what are they then ?

[Flame remove - Khun Sanuk]

Here in the USA we call them ho`s cos thats what they are.

[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: Khun Sanuk ]

The girls themselves don’t seem so sensitive. They seem happy to refer to themselves as prostitutes or ไก่ (gye) - the Thai word for chicken and slang for prostitutes.

I remember going to a Thai bar catering for locals (where not all the staff are on the game unlike in the farang bars) and some of the girls would introduce themselves as เป็นไก่ . I have subsequently referred to girls as ‘gye’ to their face and they didn’t seem at all offended. In some ways they actually like it because they know that you realise that you’re going to have to pay them.

Archived