Please Don't Call them Whores!

zanemay

quote:

Originally posted by Sid_Hateful:

I kind of like 'prostitute' as its not as offensive as 'whore', yet its more honest than 'bargirl'.

Also I don't think they bring anything but shame to the entire country of thailand and further they do a grave injustice to all thai women who do ligitimate work, and live respectable lives.

[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: Sid_Hateful ]

Oh, I can't resist! Sid, you have the typical Western attitude toward sexworkers.....which is prudish, unrealistic, and ultraconservative.

You say they bring nothing but shame to LOS. Have you ever considered the positive economic impact that the sex tourism trade and associated services have on the viability of Thailand? What do you think would happen if the sex trade was completely closed down and current laws enforced? I guarantee there would be chaos, anarchy, and a strong potential of economic collapse/revolution.

Sexworkers (the ladies) in Asia, and their reasons for participating, are totally different from Western prostitution norms. Get those Western attitudes out of your mind when you think about Asian prostitution! It's as different as night and day.

Since you participate in this forum, I've got to ask this question. Do you indulge in the "terrible sin" of whoremongering when you come to Asia? If you do, or you ever have, your actions speak for themselves, and you're a true hypocrit if I've ever read about one!

"Do as I say, not as I do!" Author: UNKNOWN

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they are all 'whores' , then we who enjoy the services are all 'whoremongers'. Who wants to be labelled a whoremonger? Quite frankly if that's the case, then I'm one. But, 'customer' suits me better, after all, that's how they refer to us.

I prefer the term 'working girls'. They work and offer a service that we all like. Let's show them a little more respect. Without them life wouldn't be so interesting.

Cheers,

Dan

=============================================

Hi,

the first BG I met referred to me as her boyfriend. I think in that designation I can identify different elements.

1. Decency, she want to show to the world she is a girl who just has sex with boyfriends - if a man not comes back she is the victim.

2. Self-delusion, even if she knows/fears the opposite, she wants to convince herself you're her boybriend for a long time - even for ever.

3. Hope, still she hopes one day the dream-prince will arrive - taking her to his castle to a life in luxury and live a perfect family life with man and children.

I've always treated my BGs as a GF (same time as telling them in the very start about having a thai GF living in LOS). wink.gif" border="0

elef crazy.gif" border="0

Well Gentlemen (and others):

Having read all this I see we certainly have a wide range of opinions on this! Very interesting that memebers of the religious right have found their ways to the the sanuk board!

I have decided, after deliberating all of the above, to take the suggestion of the "right" sanuker and call the sweet little bitches (see I ain't politically correct or too fecking serious!) "right strumpets" or usually just strumpets. Whoopee!! Progress!!

Heard from my strumpet (it's such a perfect word for her!) on the internet this morning - back to her and LOS in six weeks. Whoopee2!!

Sanuk Dee

Zane

Teacherwannabe: As a matter of fact in four visits now to Thailand I have not passed time with a prostitute. As far as the consequenses of the closing down of prostitution related business, I couldn't disagree more with you. Thailand is a pretty cool place and people are always going to go there. In fact if you took away the taint of prostitution from the country I'd be willing to bet even more people would visit.

Good luck to you Bembaman,

Sounds like you got a good girl there. But don't forget that not every girl has the same kind of opportunities that you girl has had, or the kind of education required to start a business. Can you imagine a poor country girl with no education and only a knowledge of rice farming coming to bangkok with no capitol and being able to consider business as you speak of??

Let's not be too short-sighted about the nature of this beast.

====================================

Dan

Granted Dan, I in no way criticized bar girls for what they do. I am simply asking for a little realism.

For the record though, my girlfriend left school at 14, lost her mother at 4 and was shunted around various relatives before being sent to a factory by an uncle to work for B20 per day-not that long ago.

I am lucky to have a girl like her who had every excuse to go to a bar so i am very grateful.

Archived