Souh Korea cracks down on Sex trade

BuffHello

South Korea to crack down on sex trade

May 1, 2006

Seoul - South Korean police have decided to strengthen a crackdown on the sex trade at bars and massage shops in 24 areas across the country.

The National Police Agency plans to begin a nationwide crackdown, organizing special units at each police station to prevent expansion of prostitution, the Korea Times reported Thursday.

Following enactment of anti-prostitution legislation in September 2004, brothel owners and prostitution began to ply their trade at massage parlors, saunas and bars.

Police estimate there are 118 places offering sex in Yoksam-dong in southern Seoul, 207 in Somyon in Pusan and 446 in Kuri in Kyonggi Province.

The NPA said the number of brothels in red light districts across the nation has decreased by 38 percent from 1,679, the number before the anti-prostitution law took effect, to 1,043.

The number of women engaged in the sex trade has declined by 56 percent from 5,567 to 2,463, the newspaper reported.

United Press International

The number of women engaged in the sex trade has declined by 56 percent from 5,567 to 2,463, the newspaper reported.

and the other 44% are still waiting to be paid

Korean Airlines.

On one trip, plane was delayed. They put us up at the Seoul Hilton for free. Nice place. Even free meals. But the tab at checkout was US $125.00. You see, we drank everything in the fridge. There were two of us.

Went to the concierge for directions to get to adult entertainment area. Got two gals. Best I have ever observed. Took back to hotel.

Interestingly, the taxi ride to the adult area was a kazillion won and the ride back with the gals was 1/2 kazillion won.

I don't get it. How could the ride out be twice as much as the ride back. Did I mention that the gals got us the taxi for ride back?

Nice gals too. Did I mention the bath and the two of us in the bathtub - the gal and I, of course? No, that is for another post.

The important thing to remember about Korea is that everything is about appearances and not substance. The police go on these crackdowns every so often to create an image abroad that they are doing something about the scourge of prostitution.

But it's just smoke and mirrors. They are not really interested in closing anything down other than the most obvious red-light areas. Everything will shift to the underground scene and it will still thrive. All Korea is interested in doing is moving stuff out of the sight of western eyes.

Anyone who has been here long enough will always know where to find a bit of P4P. And it is a bit pricey. But as has been frequently mentioned, Korean girls are white hot.

Interesting what you say about Korea. In Japan there had be a crack down in the recent years and it seems P4P is much harder to find for Gaijins now. For example in the end of the 1990s you could find Thaigirls in some streets of Kabukicho and Ikebukuro (both parts of Tokyo). The street scene is gone completely and I have read at WSG a red light district in Yokohama and other clubs all over Tokyo have been closed down. Of course the P4P scene is huge in Japan, but 99% is off limits for foreigner and much too expensive anyway.

::

"The important thing to remember about Korea is that everything is about appearances and not substance. The police go on these crackdowns every so often to create an image abroad that they are doing something about the scourge of prostitution. " [color:"red"] [/color]

substute thailand for korea in this paragraph and I don't think anyone would dispute it. [color:"blue"] [/color]

A popular Korean myth is that the US brought prostitution to Korea after the Korean war. However Korea has had "tabangs" (tea-coffee houses) for many years where fun could be had. It is generally accepted that most Korean men will visit with a prostitute several times a year. My Korean girlfriend told me it was OK for me to be with another woman two times a year...as along as she didn't find out. After she trashed my apartment (the 2nd time) I decided it was time to move on, and married a Thai.

There are many venues for P4P in Korea, glass houses (near train stations), room salons (for men), host bars (for women), wine bars (very expensive), coffee houses, massage parlors, barber shops (two revolving poles outside), many bars which employ pros, and free-lancers.

The Korean National Police (KNP) conduct announced crackdowns on prostitution, these usually last for 30-60 days...then it is back to business as usual. It was annouced in 2004 that they would close all the glass houses by 2007...my last inspection earlier this month showed that they have quite a task in front of them.

P4P in Korea is 2-3 times more expensive than in Thailand. :::

Anyone needing more info on Korea can send me a PM :elephant:

I have only spent time in Korea on 2 seperate occasions, an 18 month stint in the late 80's and 6 week visit last summer and boy did I notice the differance.

In the late 80's I was in the steel town of Pohang, a place some American ex forces amongst you will know from Operation Team Spirit, back then it was the wild west sort of like pattaya without raining farangs, you could not avoid P4P, it was happening everywhere, and similar prices to Thailand at the time. I used to cash in my return tickets to UK and RnR in Thailand then, thats how I found the place.

Last summer I was in Ulsan, aka HYUNDAI City, a lot of Oil and Gas companies such as Exxon-Mobil, Esso, Shell etc have major precense their, single lonley males with a wad in their pocket, and a P4P scene tailored to relive them of their money.

Most of the working girls were not Korean, but Pinoy or some CIS country, and the scene was so, the only word I can think to describe it is Sterile and so expensive, 5000 won for a Beer, 12,000 for a Double (thats $5 and $12) I wasn't even interested in ST. We heared numerous tales of guys getting hit with $400 and $500 bar tabs and they did not even BF or ST, I was glad to get out after 6 weeks.

Korea of the late 80's will always live on in the memories.

Archived