Cardio Catatarization...

Old Hippie

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

During my student years I did a practical in the cath lab. Minimal pain for most patients. Usually just a small cut in the femoral artery or vein. Of course there is risk of an embolism, stroke etc. But in the years I worked there I never heard of a serious problem. One lady had a reaction to the iodine. If you are allergic to shellfish this could be a possible risk. But generally it benefits and diagnostics far outweighs any risk.

I think the worst part for most of the patients was lying still for such a long time. We kept them immobilized for 6 hours. Usually in the hall most of the time outside the Cardiac Catheterization room. I am sure if you had it done here you would get better treatment!

I had this done as a 'day case' ie you come into hospital and go home on the same day although in my case it didn't work out that way. The procedure is done with local anesthetic so you are awake all the time it is carried out. You are put onto the op table and injected in the groin area with local anesthetic. Imaging equipment is put in place over you and a catheter is inserted into the femoral artery and manovered to the heart. Various solutions are introduced into your heart and the imaging equipment moves around under computer control to get the required views. This stage is the 'angiogram', and depending what is found, if you are suitable, the surgeon may proceed to perform an 'angioplasty' this where a baloon is inflated in a constricted area to enlarge it, a stent (wire cage) is usually put in to keep the artery open afterwards. The procedure takes around 30 - 40 mins. I was moved back to the ward where a device to apply pressure to the insertion wound site was put on, and the sheath removed from my groin. The presure is reduced in several stages over the next hour and the device is removed (assuming the bleeding has stopped) You are rested for another hour then you are encouraged to walk around to be sure the wound site has healed (no stiches or clips are used)

If all's well you have a final blood pressure and ECG test and go home where you are instructed to take it easy for a couple of days.

Pain: none really, it's quite a strange feeling as it's done but no pain.

Risk: low risk, but it can trigger a heart attack or stroke in rare cases.

Recovery: 24 hours, without complications.

In my case the surgeon considered the stents would not be the appropriate treatment and bypass surgery was the best option. I expect to have that done in 3 months time. Luckly I live near one of the worlds leading cardiac centers, so no worries there.

Due to the anti coagulant medication I was taking, they found it difficult to stop the bleeding after the angiogram and I was admitted onto the cardiac unit overnight, this bleeding left me swollen and black & blue from my waist to my knees. This took about a month to return to normal, but although it was a bit uncomfortable it didn't hurt and didn't stop me getting around. I drove myself home from the hospital the day after the op without any problems.

"...Risk: low risk, but it can trigger a heart attack or stroke in rare cases..."

YIKES! If my luck with women is any indicater...I'm fucked! :)

"...In my case the surgeon considered the stents would not be the appropriate treatment and bypass surgery was the best option. .."

This is what scares me...I know 2 people that had it done right then and there! Will you have the traditional bypass? or the newer "laposcopic" (might be wrong term) where they go in from the side, less invasive faster recovery time etc...? If I may inquire, how old are you? Cardic history?

I don't think there's a laproscopic option with bypass surgery but I may be wrong. The op I'm getting is the latest being performed in the UK known as an 'off pump bypass' where they attach the grafts to the heart without first stopping it and connecting you to a heart lung machine as they do in traditional bypass surgery, they imobilise a small section of it mechanically while the surgeon does his work. The grafts are harvested from the arteries available in the chest rather than useing veins from the leg. The op is supposed to be less traumatic, better performing and a quicker recovery, I've been told to expect to be out of bed the next day, discharged from hospital in 6 days and fully recovered in 6 weeks if all goes well.

History wise I started getting pains in my chest when I did any exercise, after a couple of weeks kidding myself it was indegestion I went to the doctor who refered me on to the local hospital for an exercise stress test. When I attended for this test I was coupled up to a ECG machine and asked to sit down and relax while an 'at rest' reading was taken. At this stage the test was stopped by the technician and I was admitted to the cardiac unit. A doc there told me I had either had, or was having a heart attack. FARK! I was kept in for a couple of days while they tried out various medications and assesed my condition as being stable. I was then discharged with a suitcase full of tablets :) and was refered on to a consutant cardiologist for more tests including the angioplasty already mentioned. The end result is my heart is in quite reasnoble order with one artery constricted most of its length the others being servicable, a triple bypass is being done to try to avoid problems developing in the future.

Age wise I'm 56, I've always experienced good health until recently, I'm overweight and have been for about 6 years due to lack of exercise, I used to smoke heavilly but quit 17 years ago, I enjoy a pint or three but I don't drink to excess and have no personal or family history of cardiac problems that I am aware of. I have been under considerable stress and presure for the last 20 years in a business sense but it came like a bolt out of the blue! I had just sold up my business interests and was two months away from moving to Thailand permanantly. Bugger!

I may have used the wrong term "Laposcopic" but my understanding is there is a procedure where they don't fully split your chest open, then put it back together, and hold it all shut with a metal plate...my adopterd dad had this done 2 times, first time he was back in almost 5 years to the date, 2nd time, they took the graffs from his arm...now failing 20 years later...he never really seemed to recover fully...has a pace maker now (age 75) and is getting a new one with a built in difililator...

Nervous_Dog said:

OK - I have no idea what you talking but is it the sae as sticking a stent into a artory?

If so my mum had it done and she'll be here whem you are, She also loves boxing so happy to meet and talk about it.

DOG

Yes, I think the "cath" is part of the procedure to determine if a stint is needed, and if so, is done at that time, as Pe7e discribed...er I think...looking foreward to seeing your mom again...last time you ushered her away from the table rather quickly... :)

Archived