Cardio Catatarization...

Old Hippie

This is more less what I was talking about...

"...Another alternative is the use of smaller incisions that avoid splitting the breastbone. This is referred to as Minimally Invasive Direct Coronary Artery Bypass or MIDCAB.

Coronary bypass surgery can now be performed with the aid of a robot, which allows the surgeon to perform the operation without even being in the same room as the patient..."

got it from... http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002946.htm

not sure I like the idea of the "robot and the doctor in the next room...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had 4 of them...

First at Bumrungrad after myocarial infarct in Pattaya to check status of arteries and they recommended 4 by-passes, the second 10 days later at my hometown university hospital where they implemented 2 stents, one xperimental med coated. 3 and 4 to check status of xperimental stent.

It was not very funny but not too bad neither. On night stay at hospital. But there is a risk indeed. The day of my last check I was planned to undergo caterisation-angioplasty at 14.00 whilst a patient staying same room was planned at 10.00. By 12 he stll was not brougth back and the nurses were mentionning "problems" He was brought back a few minutes before they took me downstairs and he just told me he almost died in the procedure and they called his wife to come in. Seems there was some panick in the operation room. Details unknown to me.

This is what scares me about it! ALl the unknowns...shit gets ruptured, puntured, knocked loose, or they find something that can't wait, and split you open...fuck that...the minimully invasive procedure seems more acceptable to me...

OH: Are you going for a procedure and if yes what is it?

I had a catheter but they were able to go thru my wrist rather than the groin. PE7 explained the rest much better than I could. I was well and truly medicated so no pain whatsoever just feeling high. You know, like the old days ha ha.

The purpose: I arrived in the emerg room with extreme burning in center of chest and a high fever for previous five days. I had returned from a trip to thailand 3 weeks earlier.

The blood work caused the cardiologist they called in to pronounce that I had a heart attack. So a catheter was necessary to have a look and assess the damage. Turns out that the damage to the heart was caused by some undetermined viral infection that went from wherever it started and into my heart. May have picked it up in LOS.

So it was not a heart attack but something that would either get worse or better. Went from the ER to the cardio unit and had a 3 day vacation there. The good news isthat i recovered completely. The bad is that the catheter uncovered the fact that i have coronary artery disease.

I recall hearing that the chances of dying from a catheritization procedure was one in a hundred. A family member who is a nurse who arrived at the hospital tried to talk me out of the procedure but i went ahead with it.

O.H. don't worry so much, I think the odds are much better than 1 in a 100, and you need to factor in the procedure is being performed on patients who are already in a poor or life threatning condition. Many are in their 70s - 80s, with a person of your age and general health, the odds will be much, much better. You really need to do all in your power to minimise the occurance of an heart attack, and ensuring an adequate blood supply to the heart is paramount. If you need a good reason, are you aware that 4 out of 10 people who have a heart attack, die of it? That's what I call a scary statistic, it sorta puts the others into perspective.

If your physician wants to cath you, there is a reason...

The only risk is if you don't have it done.

Bumgunrad is a good hospital and they have some excellent cathing cardologists, don't be a baby, I'm an ER Physician and I had it done and everything turned out negative. Let us know how it turns out and good luck...

• 2 weeks later...

If lesions (plaque buildup resulting in constricted areas) are found, the decision as to whether or not to proceed with angioplasty is based upon the location of the problem areas. Not all areas can be appropriately 'reached' in order to perform angioplasty.

My best advice would be to have the cardiac cath study done at the best teaching hospital in your area which offers the minimally invasive approach just in case bypass surgery is recommended on an emergency basis. If bypass surgery is indicated, again the decision as to which surgical approach to proceed with depends upon the location (and extent) of any lesion(s) documented on the catheterization study.

Do a search (Google) in order to locate facilities that perform the minimally invasive approach in your area. You may also want to inquire whether or not they use drug eluding stents if they decide angioplasty is recommended. Discuss the potential benefits with your cardiologist.

Try not to worry; and, if anxiety is bothersome just ask for some medication to help you relax before and during the cardiac cath procedure ... they'll insert an I.V. for the test anyway. I've had five of these studies; and, I always asked for something to relax me. Good luck; and, I hope all goes smoothly for you.

• 1 month later...

Apparently, I may live...one "minior cause for concern" but oddly, my arteies are in good shape! some what shocking all things concidered...

In any event, it was a bit unpleasant, and now a bit sore (went in through my groin, now swollen, and Black and Blue. Only took about 1.5 hours, I went in late in the after noon, as the guy before me "developed complications" kept over night, and I was released this morning, after making a pain in the ass of myself, and hitting on the nurse...she does NOT go short time :(

On a good note, the Woman with the big tits from the temple came by on her way home, along with another hot Thai woman...neither of which wanted to go short time either... :( But nice to see them.

I was actually really terrified, as I know guys who had problems during this, requiring immediate surgery, but on the over all scale, I am happy it is over, and that I appear "basically in pretty good shape, all things considered..." (Do Doctors ever give a straight answer?) I'll meet with the Doctor on Monday, and go over everything, but he said "no need for any further proceedures..." So I am hapy, I will again try for a short time with the nurse! Thanks to all who answered, and Pmd.

Doctors Never Give Straight Answers!!!! Most of the time it is a guessing process, Unless it is obvious you will rpobably live another 30 years!!! (Boy, thats scarry)

Glad to hear things went well, I would cut some of that 'Pecker" business for a while, watch your diet, and I don't mean look at the food before you eat it, and get a little exercise.

Best of Luck...

Archived