Cardio Catatarization...

Old Hippie

whosyourdaddy said:

One lady had a reaction to the iodine. If you are allergic to shellfish this could be a possible risk.

Had that happen to me on a different diagnostic procedure. Kind of interesting laying on the table feeling like I was going to heave my guts out and listening to the x-ray tech saying "Get the radiologist in here NOW!" And no, I'm not allergic to shellfish.

:dunno:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, most doctors will give reasonable answers if you word your questions/concerns appropriately. Write all questions down before seeing the doc. Glad it went well for you. :up:

And, I'm sure you feel a lot more relaxed about the affair. Just keep in mind the risk factors associated with M.I. and make any necessary adjustmnts to life style. Fuck more ... its good exercise & now you can take the maximum recommended dose of your ED drug of choice.

Beware NSAIDS (non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs). There's some recently released very negative info regarding these and having a heart attack similar to the problems with Cox 2 Enzyme inhibiting anti-inflammatories like Vioxx, etc. ::

"...Beware NSAIDS (non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs). There's some recently released very negative info regarding these and having a heart attack similar to the problems with Cox 2 Enzyme inhibiting anti-inflammatories like Vioxx, etc..."

Please elaborate on this, names of drugs if possible etc. Thanks. I take a lot of these anti inflamants (maybe) for knee and foot swelling...

OK ... I'll retrieve the article from either the online journal of the American College of Cardiology, the newsletter from the Mayo Clinic or "Heart Center Online" ... I get all 3 and they're all excellent. Presently, I forget which one I saw it in. When I locate it I'll email it to you.

I think the info needs further investigation. But, if the conclusions of this European study are borne out, this is rather alarming news. BTW, I do recall that the conclusions relate more to increasing the risk for a second MI ... but still cause for concern IMHO.

I take voltaren tablets and sometimes get IM injections of it here in LOS, so I'm concerned.

Just looked at my email box ... already deleted it. I recall however that all NSAIDs were implicated. I'm fairly certain it was in "Cardiosource" ... online journal of the American College of Cardiology. Do a Google and got o the cardiosource site. Register as an MD (they don't check credentials so you can specilaize in Proctology/whatever :grinyes: ).

Check/search for very recent articles (saw it within past week) dealing with risk for heart attack and NSAIDs.

BTW, many articles in Cardiosource can be difficult to digest; but, this one was fairly straight forward. I also highly recommend subscribing to the Mayo Clinic's newsletter ... and there are many others.

OK, with respect to NSAID's and increased risk of heart attack I've attached the following article about a British study.

"Common pain killers linked to heart attack risk"

Researchers have found that high doses of two common painkillers ? diclofenac and ibuprofen ? may increase the risk of heart attacks.

Diclofenac and ibuprofen belong to a class of pain killing medications called traditional non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).

Writing in the British Medical Journal, Dr Colin Baigent, from the University of Oxford in the UK, and colleagues explain that although high doses of newer NSAIDS, called COX-2 inhibitors, have been linked to an increased risk of cardiovascular problems, it has remained unclear whether traditional NSAIDs are associated with a similar risk.

To investigate, the researchers conducted a review of more than 130 studies, involving around 140,000 participants, which compared COX-2 inhibitors with a dummy medication or COX-2 inhibitors with traditional NSAIDs.

As expected, the researchers found that taking high doses of COX-2 inhibitors was associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular "events", mainly heart attacks.

They also found that high doses of the traditional NSAIDs diclofenac and ibuprofen were associated with a similar increased risk of heart attacks, although the risk associated with another NSAID, called naproxen, was smaller.

The team explained, however, that the overall risk of heart attacks associated with traditional NSAIDs and COX-2 inhibitors is small. Indeed, they calculated that for every 1000 people taking an NSAID or COX-2 inhibitor, around three would suffer a cardiovascular "event".

Commenting on the findings, Professor Peter Weissberg, from the British Heart foundation, said: "This study adds to the mounting body of evidence that taking high doses of NSAIDs increases the chances of having a heart attack.

"However, the increased risk is small and many patients with chronic debilitating pain may well feel that this small risk is worth taking to relieve their symptoms."

He added: "Further clinical studies are urgently needed to define whether the risk applies to all NSAIDs or whether some are safer than others."

• 3 weeks later...

Well the 3 months are up, (see previous post) and I go into hospital today for the multiple heart bypass operation that I need to live a active life. I don't mind admitting the nerves are begining to kick in now, but it's something I've got to face up to and have done, if I am to continue mongering around Asia. If all goes well I'll report my experience's in a couple of weeks, if not, it's been nice knowing you all. :)

Archived