Tempers flare on nanaplaza.com

bibblies

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The linked article is IMO a little loopy and leaves more questions than answers. I've read it three times and still don't know what the writer is trying to say, and I don't think he does either. Let's all hug?

As for forums, I think the main reason there is so much ill will (I except nanaplaza.com which is the politest forum I've ever belonged to) is because of the anonymity involved, not because of misunderstandings. It's easy to be a tough guy in cyberspace.

personally, I'm waiting for that great leap forward in computer technology that will install a breathalyzer attached to the keyboard...over a certain level and you won't be able to type anything, haha...

I could use one for the keyboard on my cellphone, too (drunken SMS's)...

preahko

It's easy to be a tough guy in cyberspace.

I think we have seen some solid evidence of this lately. I am adding this to my great quotes hall of fame (which I started this morning).

IHMO, the best and funniest comment ever here, which I cannot find, was SuziBandit's response to a poster who was seriously arguing that we should never ever say anything remotely negative about Thailand no matter what happens here.

Well, it's not just a matter of miscommunication. When you are not face-to-face with someone, you may in the heat of the moment scribble down something you would never say to someone in front of you. The counter-side being, of course, that you also have the option of more time to think about your response on a forum or newsgroup that you would have in a conversation.

Anyway, just wanted to take the chance to link to a funny site. If, like me, you have been involved in forum and newsgroups (especially unmoderated ones) for a long time, you probably recognise most of the warriors described below.

http://www.flamewarriors.com

Hey Gadfly1 - I don't know shit about you either but it was the william ginzer -gadfly1 is the same poster that made me sit and think about things to make this post. I am not giving credence to the theory at all, I only mention it because that is what got me thinking about things.

I wonder if the meetings at gullivers ever get 'sticky'? I have bumped into a few nana members in bars, got to talking, acknowledged screen names, and had a great time. I could see where a misinterpreted post, a flame, and a formed opinion could make for an interesting meeting.

I once sat down next to a guy in Phuket and right away asked him if he was old hippie. OH used to have a graphic of what looked like Jerry Garcia, and his tag line is always a grateful dead lyric. This guy looked like the graphic, had on a tie dye, and kept requesting dead songs it prompted me to ask. We were both drunk and when I asked 'are you old hippie' he replied well I am an old hippie. I took that as an afirmative. We talked about lots of stuff. I wasn't that drunk, I just thought he was. The next day I bumped into him and we had a good laugh about it. It was not 'old hippie', just an old hippie.

Most of the other boards I post on are design related. I often register a secondary name, but just to 'take the piss' on people I get on well with. Usually I will acknowledge it is me right away, but sometimes if I really know the person I will use the name to break their balls a bit about stuff only a close associate would know. I always acknowledge this before it goes too far, they are my friend after all.

I think message boards tend to be clique-y in general.

Hi!

Maybe it might be unfair to form an opinion about someone based on their writing

I tend to disagree with this. People who write posts are less restricted by good manors or even fear of physical violence. Therefor I think that a sum of posts over a prolonged period of time might constitute a reasonable picture of the poster.

regards

ALHOLK

Archived