Tempers flare on nanaplaza.com

bibblies

Hmmm... you've just given me an idea. Did you ever see the movie "Six degrees of separation" - based on a true story about a guy who went through high society on the claim that he was Sidney Poitier's son?

I'm gonna pretend I'm Ranger to get the good treatment! :)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>>Third, on the subject of aliases, if a new poster all of the sudden registers during a heated debate, there probably is reason for legitimate doubt. But if a poster has been here for years...? Would someone create an alias years ago anticipating that he would need that alias for a debate about violence now - some three or more years later. It is so far-fetched that it doesn't merit serious discussion or consideration, particularly in a discussion that has already gone too far off the rails. <<<

Ah, yes, you can now pretend that someone suggested the above. In fact, no one (in the recent "increasing violence thread") suggested anything of the sort. In other words, noone would be so stupid to suggest that you created the other "william ginzer" alias in anticipation of needing it much later on to support "gadfly's" much later posts on violence. However, once the alias was created for whatever reason, it sure came in handy, didn't it?

Hey, by the way, just noticed that in your post above you used the phrase, again "barstool pundit". Isn't it kind of interesting that both you and "William Ginzer" introduced this phrase and usage to the board.....Both Gadly and ole Willy boy have been using it for a while. for example, william uses it on Aug. 22 2001 and oct. 9 2001, and thereafter, along with gadfly (who almost never talk to each other, by the way, interestingly)

Gadfly - I'm sure that one day I'll be able to recognise him, probably in Angelwitch. But, like in The Deerhunter, I'm only going give myself one shot at guessing. One shot, just one shot...
Now this will make my trips to AngelWitch even more interesting. And no help from "little friends".

buddha said:

"why else would anyone posture in cyberspace as a cyber tough guy cynic unless this image was important them?"

Some kind of therapeutic outlet perhaps? A lot of people, me for one, use message boards to get stuff off their chests, amongst other things of course. It's people who take it too seriously who puzzle me. :)

buddha said:

I have gotten into a silly back and forth with JJSUSHI [that I bring up only as an example of ME doing this] Granted it takes two, but I new from the jump he wasn't going to convince me and I wasn't going to convince him. I should've let it go. Sorry Sushi, to be honest I don't know shit about you and it is unfair for me to form an opinion in this way.

Yet again the name of JJSUSHI is on the lips of a fellow poster. My postings and board activity are significantly down, yet my footprint is large!

JJsushi love him or hate him; his posts always give a different perpective.

Sorry Budda but I can't recall any meaningful debates that we have had. You must understand there are several posters that have axes to grind with me and I truly can't keep track of their handles. I always stick to the thread I comment on and I don't carry the debates into other threads or devolop a stalker technique to attack my detractors.

This is a cyber forum so there is no need to personally internalize the interaction here. Some guys take this forum seriously because it is inportant in their lives. JJsushi simply has fun and enjoys the interaction here.

Although lately there are too many cliques and tribalism type of posts with the fanboys in full force for the Sushi's taste. KS and his moderating crew have really killed off alot of the individuals and independent thinkers that have made solid contributions to this forum. Seems folks like herds more than controversy stirring mavericks.

Being the Last of the Mohicans JJsushi shall too fade and burn out like all stars do. ::

Gadfly1 said:

I think the subject is complicated and there are no obvious answers (does that give you a good sense of what type of person I am?). I'll limit myself to a few random observations and comments since I have given a bit of thought to this subject, but it is early days and my views are still evolving.

First and foremost, I think incentives and consequences are good at explaining behavior. This makes it easy, for example, to posture as a tough guy cynic in cyber space. (I am using this because it is such an obvious example.) If you do this in real life, there can be real and painful consequences. Not so in cyberspace, unless...

someone calls you on it. And then, for posters who have seriously and heavily invested their egos into this image (why else would anyone posture in cyberspace as a cyber tough guy cynic unless this image was important them?), you will get a nasty and angry response. I think this reveals a great deal about that poster - something that might not be so easy to detect in a bar room conversation. It also, however, has the unfortunate effect of pushing threads off topic.

Second, if someone has posted here for years, you can get a pretty good sense of where they are coming from. I think it is pretty clear where I am coming from. Some of my comments about Thailand obviously bother a few here, and it is often the same members.

Why? Probably many things, but time spent in Thailand seems to make a big difference. Not every visitor disagrees with me, and many agree. But ever notice how there really is not much disagreement on these subjects among the posters who have been here for a long time? (I am talking about posters where you can really be confident they have been in Thailand for awhile.) Why is that? Well, perhaps when you really live in a place, you take take these sorts of things a bit more seriously than when you only visit a few times a year or you haven't been here long enough to consider yourself a resident. This is not a criticism; to a large extent, this is to be expected.

Third, on the subject of aliases, if a new poster all of the sudden registers during a heated debate, there probably is reason for legitimate doubt. But if a poster has been here for years...? Would someone create an alias years ago anticipating that he would need that alias for a debate about violence now - some three or more years later. It is so far-fetched that it doesn't merit serious discussion or consideration, particularly in a discussion that has already gone too far off the rails.

Fourth and finally, you can probably make judgements about what is and is not important to a poster by what and how they post. You can go back and judge what they are posting now by what they posted before. Harder to do this in real life since there is no written record.

I am sure there are plenty of us here who wish they were carrying a tape recorder when listening to some chronic bar stool pundit hold forth with moral certainity on a subject he really knows nothing about. Wouldn't it be fun to re-play that tape the next time some blowhard holds forth? Here, to some extent, you can do that.

Unlike conversations in the real world, we do have a record of what is said here. Consequently, when a poster previously made a claim that is demonstrably false, you can call them on it. You can even create a hyper-link to the prior discussion. This clearly bothers some, but I think it is useful because here, unlike in real world conversations, it is much harder to deny that such a comment was made before

:barf: :barf: :barf::yikes: DUDE! I damn near fell asleep on this droning post of yours!! Why don't u just name the names of the people ur talking about instead of beating around the bush?! Your repeating yourself from those threads u clashed with Suadam and a couple of others.

WHAT HAPPEND TO THIS FORUM!?!?!!?

There was a time guys would cut straight to it and smack a guy around if they were in disagreement.Now there is all this mealy mouthed allusion crap. Come on man get to it!!!! Pick up a literary rock and bash someone in the freaking head with it!!!

Archived