US Troops Deserting

candyfloss

I don't care who is credible or not - I judge after how they can argue for their thesis........ You 2 can go out one night and drink some beers and solve all mysteries in this world and next.

"Ha en trevlig helg", "En trevlig helg" eller "Trevlig helg" are all equal och

(Jag) har (nu) en trevlig helg" :beer:

Back to the US troops deserting.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi!

As sweden is very Anglicized the expressions "Ha en bra dag" are widely accepted and just as in America they don't really mean it. As for your comments on my spelling anyone who has read my posts knows that I am a lousy speller and an even worse typist. I know bloody well how it is spelled I just don't seem to hit the right keys.

regards

ALHOLK

P.S. The English expression that I have heard most complaints about is "up to you" or in Swedish "up till dig". This expression is completely meaningless in Swedish but most Swedes will still understand it.

D.S.

Alholk,

"upp till dig", we have at least exported 2 words to many languages - ombudsman and smorgasbord. Actually also polynesian exported 2 words tatoo and taboo so we must be on the same level as Polynesia.

Cheers

I live in a part of sweden where we're more continental and half danish. The closest capital is Copenhagen, the 2nd is Berlin, the 3rd is Oslo and maybe the 4th is Stockholm (haven't checked the distances to the new baltic countries). It shows how much we care about Stochholm and stockholmers.

Contact me if you come to Pattaya in august or november Alholk, so we can have some beers!

You really should check you your movies better. There was nothing in the Die Hard movies that suggested that the terrorists were muslims. However I must admit that the sceene where Bruce lights up the runaway and says "Yippee kay ay mother fucker" is a good one.

regards

ALHOLK

Hi!

When I grew up (in Wexioe) Copenhage was the place to go as well. I used to understand Danish better than Norwegian but not today.

I'm well aware of that people from the southernmost Sweden don't like us from Stockholm but the the fact reamins that Stockholm is the ccultural and financial centre of Sweden. Stockholm has roughly twice as many people as the periferal province that you are living in and roughly 3-4 times as many people as Oslo.

As for the Baltic countries, Estonia is about the size of the province I grew up in and has less people than Stockholm. I don't know about Latvia and Lithuania but they are just slightly larger.

I will be in Pattaya in July and after that I don't know.

I was under the impression that you are a Dane living in Seden is this not correct? Where do you hang out in Pattaya . In C4, Copenhagen or elswhere.

regards

ALHOLK

I never thought that Hans Gruber and his terrorists were Muslims in the 1988 movie Die Hard. What I meant is that John McClane, the good guy, can serve as a metaphor for the U.S., while the terorists, the bad guys, represent Islamists. I was just having fun at the expense of politically correct types.

Alholk, what can I do to convince you I actually have lived in Sweden and speak Swedish, even if I don't write Swedish very well? Problemet ar att jag inte har svenskt tangentbord, vilken gor det svart att skriva svenska tecken. Men jag bodde ca 10 ar i Stockholm, halva tiden pa Karlsbergvagen nara Odenplan, sedan flyttade jag till Ymsenvagen i Johanneshov soder om stan. Jag jobbade pa SR och pa en engelsk sprakig telegrambyra. Jag erkanner att jag skriver mycket daligt svenska men klara mig ganska bra rent muntlig.

I also lived shorter periods in both Norway and Denmark. But I haven't lived in Sweden since 1994 and haven't been back to Scandinavia since 1997.

EP

:devil:

ALHOLK said:

Hi!

You know an awful lot about Sweden do you. Could you point it out on a map if your life depended ont. :neener:

regards

ALHOLK

Yeah, right up there by Norway and Finland!!

BTW if you believe the propaganda in Ho Chi Minh City...I know of some nice houses with a view of the levee in New Orleans that are for sale! :rotfl:

Evel_Penivel said:
chuckwoww said:

Anyway you made my point for me. An invasion of the US by muslim forces would be nothing like a Hollywood movie.

That was your point? That real war isn't like a movie? Wow, Chuck, that's some pretty deep thinking. And I thought you were just trying to lighten up the thread with a reference to Red Dawn.

Yes that was kind of my point. Who said it had to be deep? The more simplistic the better I would have thought.

I used it as an example because I thought we were discussing relative barbarism. 'Red Dawn' IMO was a watered down version of how some Americans would behave if the US was invaded by a muslim army. You, being a good guy, would probably just get on quietly with your life and not make trouble for the occupying forces. Or maybe if you were desperate for a job you would join the police and help keep order? :)

Archived