WORLD CUP TALK.

sayjann

Hardy641 said:

Would have loved the goal would have fallen earlier though. Would have loved to see whether Germany could have fought back.

Yeah, right. In the one minute you had to fight back, you conceded another goal! How many did you want? :)

Italy are your Portugal. Only English teams, like Liverpool, can fight back against goals down against Italian opposition! :neener:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Only English teams, like Liverpool, can fight back against goals down against Italian opposition"

U forgot France! came back from 1-0 to Italy in the last minute or so in the Euro 2000 final, before scoring the golden goal in overtime and pocketing the title! very dramatic! Hope we win again that final !

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/5097330.stm

an old story but at least a happy ending.

thanks to Portsmouth FC all the kids from the area who had been disappointed finally travelled to Germany for an England Game.

Pompey managed to extract tickets for the kids and paid for all the travelling and accomodation costs.

great public relations job by the Club and kudos to all involved.............. :applause: :applause: :applause::worship:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/5104252.stm

how i would have loved to been there........... :grinyes:

all those Dutchies in underwear..........i wonder how many Women............ :hubba: :p

BTW, regarding yesterday's game, am I the only one (along with Bibbs) who believe keepers have WAY too much freedom in their box?

Look at what Lehmann did to Pesotto FARKKK!!!! Pesotto was at least somewhere near the ball but the Lehmann came in flying like a madman with his arms and legs stretched out.

A small touch and keeprs go wild but they have no qualms knocking others over... HARD! :dunno:

Ridiculous IMHO, should have been a free kick for the Italians.

:down:

the Germans would have invaded Italy if a free-kick had been given.

those of you who know Lehmann from the PL will know that he is a law within himself and thinks nothing of rolling on the floor if an opposing Player even looks at him.

but he has always been allowed to do what he likes and get away with it............

Great article on page 64 Bibblies.

I think the italians went for it in the extra time because they didn't have confidence they'd beat the Germans on PKs on their own soil. I felt badly for Lehmann and thought he had little chance of stopping either goal which were taken very well.

I'm cheering for France (sorry Zaad, but Henry is French). Its about to start and I'm taping it so I won't be on here till well after the match is over.

The referee seemed to let the players play in the Germany v. Italy match. I saw a few tackles that would would have gotten a booking in previous matches. I have to credit the referee in that match.

When they do a post mortem of the WC, Blatter and FIFA will have to get the refereeing or specifically the lack of quality refereeing sorted. Perhaps, rather than just having referees represented from the various regions they choose the best, no matter what country they are from. Try to get a neutral country referee but if not, then a referee with enough respect that it won't be too much of a problem if he referees a match and one of the teams is his home country. I think Collima is the example I'm looking for. If they don't get it sorted, they may have to go to video replays, which I fear will slow the game if its not done correctly.

The one thing FIFA really need to do is stop the gamesmanship. They claimed they'd book the card-wavers and the divers and yet it hasn't happened. Players have blatantly waved imaginary cards, dived and feigned injury without sanction. And, because they've seen such behaviour has been rewarded, players who'd previously never stooped that low (like Henry) have even joined in!

Simple solution: review previous actions by using video evidence and shame and ban the culprits. That will deter them. Why won't FIFA do it? :dunno:

Ronaldo seems to be getting whistled immediately by the French crowd. Besides their behaviour against Holland and England, I've been reminded of how disgracefully Portuguese players reacted to their Euro2000 exit. And the treatment of Glenn Close at the end of 'Dangerous Liasons'!

What about the extremely dodgy free kick that Germany were awarded near the end when it was still 0-0? It was bizarre! First of all, it wasn't a foul by Cannavaro. Secondly, if it was, it was 5 yards inside the box! Yet the ref gave Germany a free kick 5 yards outside! Very strange! ::

Archived