13 yr old German girl raped

kamui

Actually,

I have not seen any information about the terrible incident online, but only the reaction to the Thai reports. This story being published internationally would be another blow to the Thai tourism industry, since it would further damage the image of Thailand being the 'the land of smiles'.

That photos of the girl are published the following day is a second degree rape IMHO. Hopefully the Germany embassy will send an official note of protest to the government and the concerned newspapers.

:cussing:

Publication of young rape victim's photo condemned

Photos of a teenage German rape victim and her family published in two leading newspapers showed a failure of the Thai Journalist Association's (TJA) campaign to promote media ethics, top members of the TJA and the Press Council of Thailand said yesterday.

The two daily newspapers, Khao Sod and Thai Rath, yesterday published photos of a 13-year-old German girl who was raped by a burglar.

A gang of four broke into the girl's house in Pathum Thani province, attacking her mother and a maid while one man raped the girl.

The two newspapers also posted the victim's photo on their websites, while Kom Chad Luek newspaper carried the controversial photos online.

"Photographers don't have the right to point their cameras at victims and relatives in this kind of case. I'm not going to say if it's right or wrong to publish those pictures, even with the faces blacked out," said Tulsathit Taptim, chairman of the TJA's Rights and Freedom Committee.

Boonrat Apichat-trisorn, of the TJA, said the association had launched a campaign in 2004 to promote media ethics and sensitivity when reporting on cases of sexual assault but this case showed some journalists were still failing to grasp their responsibilities.

"As I senior female reporter who has worked in the media for a long time, I demand the press show more understanding of the issue," she said.

Dej-Udom Krairit, chairman of the Press Council's complaints sub-committee, said he would raise the case at the body's next meeting.

However, the council could only send an official letter to warn members who violate an ethic or rule but there is no punishment available, he said.

"All editors knew about the ethics rules they helped draft. We were trying to convince the public that the press can be an honourable institution but it cannot help if editors do not respect the media ethics code they helped draw upt. The media could face ruin," Dej-Udom said.

TJA president Pattara Khampitak said the newspapers that published the victim's photo violated the journalistic ethics that all association members jointly endorsed.

However, the Press Council had carried the responsibility for investigating violations of press ethics since its formation in 1997, Pattara said.

Despite the media's willingness to examine itself, he said customers also played an important role in monitoring and criticising the press that helped to maintain journalistic standards.

Correspondents used the newspapers' websites to express concern over the issue, asking if the editors would carry the photos if their daughters were the victim.

Some readers demanded the papers apologise to the family.

Subhatra Bhumiprabhas

The Nation

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

This kind of stuff really annoys me. Not only should pictures of the victim in a rape case not be published, nor should the victim's name be released.

I will even go as far as to say that in *any* case the identity (photos, names, etc.) of the victim should be kept out of the media.

My opinion of the Thai media's ethics is *very* low.

Sanuk!

Thai Rot is the trashiest of the Thai papers. Thai Rot has been in trouble many times over this sort of thing, but still does it.

There was a big stink a few years ago about a young Thai woman who was raped and murdered -- and Thai Rot carried photos of her naked corpse on the front page. The family said they felt like she had been raped all over again.

I remember Thai Rot getting reprimanded as long ago as the 1970s. A lot of good it did.

p.s. I have seen photos of victims I personally knew in the Thai papers -- clearly recognisable too.

This is sickening shit.

A gang of four burgulars and at least one of them a rapist. A sick bunch of fuckers.

These fuckers seem to always show up in groups of 4.

Our house last week almost got burgularized. 4 sick fuckers came over the back wall. Some of my relatives where there and chased the fuckers away. The relatives were able to get hold of a few of the fuckers and tried there best to beat the shit out of them.

Now wife wants a higher wall around property. The reason some of her relatives were there was to make sure such shit didn't happen. Now, even they are afraid. They want to keep the doors locked all of the time.

Actually, I have not seen any information about the terrible incident online, but only the reaction to the Thai reports. This story being published internationally would be another blow to the Thai tourism industry, since it would further damage the image of Thailand being the 'the land of smiles'.

I've got a very uncomfortable feeling that since 1st January this year and what happened on Koh Samui, a lot of information is falling under some tables, to avoid such 'bad' image in the Western world.

[color:"blue"] ,

This kind of stuff really annoys me. Not only should pictures of the victim in a rape case not be published, nor should the victim's name be released.

I will even go as far as to say that in *any* case the identity (photos, names, etc.) of the victim should be kept out of the media.

My opinion of the Thai media's ethics is *very* low.

Sanuk!

[/color]

I am ashamed of these newspapers, what were they thinking?

My opinion, they are a piece of "s**t", forgive me for my nastiness but these newspapers are getting to my nerves. :o

I am really ashamed.

Jasmine

Archived