13 yr old German girl raped

kamui

MaiLuk said:

Some article posted here in the news section lately stated that the tourist numbers to thailand has in fact dropped substantially since the koh samui rape/murder. Anyone know what the numbers really are?

My guess is, the Ko Samui incident had little to do with it, more the economic factors, such as higher airfares, hotels etc...

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jasmine said:

[color:"blue"] ,

This kind of stuff really annoys me. Not only should pictures of the victim in a rape case not be published, nor should the victim's name be released.

I will even go as far as to say that in *any* case the identity (photos, names, etc.) of the victim should be kept out of the media.

My opinion of the Thai media's ethics is *very* low.

Sanuk!

[/color]

I am ashamed of these newspapers, what were they thinking?

My opinion, they are a piece of "s**t", forgive me for my nastiness but these newspapers are getting to my nerves. :o

I am really ashamed.

Jasmine

Allow me to through in some controversy. True, the name of the victim should not be published, nor should a picture. But, neither should the name or the picture of the accused either. Not until after the trial, and a verdict has been decided. Too many people get their names dragged through the mud during hi profile cases, which turn out to be just scams to get money...the defendent's name and image get trashed, but the "victim/lier" has her name protected...There is legislation being presented which will basically put a gag on the media in any hi profile rape case.

Does the media control the culture or does the media just reflect the culture?

The thai culture is NOT based on individual rights, individual privacy, protection of the individual at all costs, individual thinking and accountability as we do in the West and in particular USA.

Their culture is preserve status quo, community-based, group thinking and decision-making, sum its much greater than its parts, cooperative in nature and compliant society not based on regulatory compliance but respect (and other things i quite don't understand) and the greater good for the greater number...

So why should one be surprised or disappointed that the Thai media should behave any different than its culture?

I am not agreeing what they do or how they cover it is right; just why they do what they do and their thinking behind it...

In their eyes, it is a reflection of how their culture operates and unless they wish to become westernized in this area also, i understand why they do and see how they could justify their coverage as not being wrong from their perspective vs from our perspectives which reflects our culture and our upbringing...

CB

cardinalblue said:

Does the media control the culture or does the media just reflect the culture?

The thai culture is NOT based on individual rights, individual privacy, protection of the individual at all costs, individual thinking and accountability as we do in the West and in particular USA.

Their culture is preserve status quo, community-based, group thinking and decision-making, sum its much greater than its parts, cooperative in nature and compliant society not based on regulatory compliance but respect (and other things i quite don't understand) and the greater good for the greater number...

CB

Ok noted. But in this particular case how does the printing of this kid's photos and/or name in any way fit in with your rationalization of how the thai culture/society is "not based on regulatory compliance but respect.....and the greater good for the greater number..."??

Zion,

It doesn't matter whether this particular case or not. The coverage would have been treated the same had it been a boy, a monk engaging in sex (a few days ago), an old person, a dead, naked and mangled body, any nationality, anything anyone....

One has to strip away that belief (that we have) that the individual is important, the awareness of privcy, individual respect and protection of individual rights. When you don't share in that belief, one is not going to behave or do things that is consistent in that belief...

That is why we get these types of photos. I don't think it is ignorance since the thai culture wasn't born yesterday. It is just a different value system and they don't place emphasis on the same things that we do and vice versa...

As to "respect", It is my belief they they carefully choose what to respect and not to respect. But this respect seems to be driven by icons, symbols, images, positions within their hiearchial society and not by the individual per se or what that individual has accomplished. It seems to make little difference to them...

Case in point...They do seem to respect "teachers" or even "politicians" or "miltary officials "because of not because of what that individual has accomplished but only based on the position itself in relationship within their structure - holding superioity over others...They don't deem to distinguish individual merit of that person so that is why corruption of ineffectiveness is not rooted out among the respected positions. A teacher is a teacher or a politician is a politician whether good or bad in performance. Only recently meaning last 35 years, certain sections of their society (academics, professionals, people educated in the West, what we are seeing with the Taskin struggle now) start to question individual performance and competency. Thailand is in the process of learning about democracy and individual values and performance does matter...

So the media will bring as much information which includes photos if that means bringing the complete coverage to their readership, audience, etc on anything...

This same thought process (disregard for individual privacy and equality - all part of democratic principles) can be seen when they request your photo with job applications. They want a complete picture (in their eyes) so to speak of this process while we (in our eyes) would view a photo as biasing or contaminating the selecting process in finding the best qualified candidate irregardless of what they look like. But since looks are so important, i would imagine many "better-looking" people are chosen over much more qualified candidates (our perspective not theirs) under their current selection process. They would say they are selecting the best candidate because they are better-looking, younger, male or female, and less emphahis on whether they can actually perform competently (our criteria not theirs).

I would love for Jasmine to share her perspective and understanding/explanation of this issue...

CB

Aren't there certain web sights and newspapers "rags" that also feature these types of pictures and articles in the west? I seem to recall hearing about them...I have a low opinion of people as a whole, and frankly, I think if the western newspapers used photos like this, a lot of the really twisted fucks would be lining up for them.

I recall reading something about how many people were flocking to a web sight to see some kidnapped Guy in Iraq or Saudi get his head cut off...shut down web traffic or something...sadly, I think the sick fucks aren't just in Thailand...

Well, look at the popularity of stuff like "Professional wrestling" and other mind numb shit that is really very popular. Look at all the super market tabloids and crap reading people do, if they read at all...sad when you think about it, but this country is really declining...

Archived