Pissing On The War Memorial

McBif

There's been some outrage here in the Dominion over the act of three young drunks urinating on the War Memorial in Ottawa on our national holiday, Canada Day. Worse still, they were cheered on by the mob of other drunken youths.

Unfortunately for them they were filmed in the act and so, with the cops coast to coast looking for them, they turned themselves in. Two can't be identified because of their tender age (under 18).

But the interesting part of all this for us philosphically-minded gents is the 23 year-old's defense: he was drunk and therefore wasn't responsible for his actions.

Aristotle said that a man who commits a crime while intoxicated is doubly guilty both of the crime itself and of allowing himself to lose his self-control.

I agree. But it seems many people don't. If you wanna argue about it, I'll drink 26 oz. of whisky and six beers and kill you. Hey, it wouldn't be my fault!

Here's the story. Both the urinator and the reporter are fairly incoherent, but that's no doubt habitual:

Pissed

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pissing on the very people who died giving them the freedoms...no smart.

"Oh I was drunk " as a defense? Nope. In that case, no one is responsible for anything, I have to go with Aristotle on this one (wow, we ar getting high brow here! :) ) The guy that killed my first wife was drunk when he did it, he died also in the "accident" but hey, not his fault, he was drunk...they and a cousin are all still dead...somehow, I fail to see the logic...

Being pissed is no defence in most countries Justice laws.

If you notice he wasnt that pissed, he managed to stand, undo his pants, piss and smile at the camera. Therefore any procecutor would say he had the intent and willfully committed the offence (if there is any).

I fail to see the mentality of some of the young people these days or maybe Im just getting old!

America was much more naive in the VN War. The anti-war protestors felt the US had no business intervening in the conflict, thus the US forces couldn't be the "good guys". And since the GIs couldn't be the good guys, that meant that Hanoi's troops must be.

Never mind that opponents of the communists were regularly assassinated in the South, including such "evil forces of oppression" as school teachers and postmen. Never mind that Hanoi conducted its own My Lai's. Wave the Viet Cong and North Vietnamese flags! Donate blood for Hanoi's soldiers! Dress in black pajamas and spit on returning GIs.

I long ago came to the conclusion that there are only varying degrees of "goodness" in war time. War means killing -- and like as not in modern warfare civilians are going to make up the majority of those killed. Seems everyone understands that ... except George Bush. :(

Archived