purchase basic cell phone in U.S. or BBK?

dean

I have a cell phone that I've had for 4 years (a nokia with Version) but I will be in LOS for 6 months to a yar, satrting Sept. 23. I just use a phone to call, not as a camera or text messaging. I need a phone with a sim card (which eliminates my phone) and I don't care if the phone is new or used. Should I buy before I leave U.S. or buy in Bangkok? Most basic phones in U.S. are given away with 1-2 year service agreements, which I don't want. Which basic phone would be a good buy?

I'll second to buy in BKK. Many U.S. Cellular companies "lock" the phones to only work with their sim cards. You would need to have it unlocked. As you will be in LOS, there would be no way to rectify the problem, should the unlock not work...go cheap in LOS, and if you lose it, who cares?

Buy a Nokia in Thailand at MBK ,just the basic model

they are cheap , do not seem to break and you can also use it in other countries (but not the USA)

when you get back to the USA get another phone there.

I use my Nokia I bought in Germany , first visit Suadam took me to MBK and helped me get it unlocked and get a Sim card , the ones you get at MBK will already be unlocked and you can get a Thai Sim card for less than $10 , so you will be ready to go when you leave MBK

OC

Where is the best place in the Sukhumvit area to but a phone...basic model to make calls and texting capabilities? used or new doesnt matter
Check out the first floor vendors in the new mall on the corner of Suk & Soi 3. They were very close in price to MBK on new entry-level phones when I checked last January. I've purchased 2 basic phones @ MBK in the last 2 years, both were around $100 including sim card.

Archived