What can we learn from the Thais?

Zaad

Yo,

I was sitting in the bus the other day and it crossed my mind why the heck we don't use a similar system back in Holland. Passengers here take a seat and ticket seller comes to you, bus stops for a sec only which saves a shitload of time. Back in Holland passengers pay at the driver. Takes a few good minutes sometimes when there's a queue of 10+ people or those nitwits who are searching their gazillion pockets for coins or change. For every busstop, every day, week..that's a waste of time!

It's beyond me why this system isn't used in Holland / Europe?

We're often talking about the crappy systems and procedures here in Thailand, but surely we can learn SOMETHING from them, can't we?

Can't think of anything else at the moment, so I'll leave it to you guys...

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the buscompany would have to pay for a driver -and- a ticket seller, at a rate of several thousand euro's a month (lets say at least 90.000 Baht a month employer costs) to save an average of well lets say 1 minute a stop, 16 stops an hour, 8 hour shifts = 50 hours saved per month for 90K baht..

Compare this with the 3 - 4K the ticket seller makes over here and it makes more sense on money saved on fuel alone..

I'd say lower the dutch salaries :)

-JD-

Special ATM's here that allow you to deposit cash, it gets counted, if you agree that right amount counted punch in the persons account number you want it to go too and bingo, they have cash in their account, no long queues to join to do so.

ATM's also allow sending $ from your account to other peoples very easily.

NEither was available in Australia when it was aailable here.

DOG

I really like the way you can find the foodcourts everywhere with loads of cheap food which tastes ok. You don't really get the same in the UK IMO. Its more of a feww over priced chains selling sandwiches, and not a great deal else. The carrefour on Rama 4 has a great food court.

I love the way you leave the handbrake off in the carparks. I would love to see the reaction on the faces of the local councils guys faces if this was suggested as a solution for parking space.

Motorbike taxis are a great way to get around in bad traffic.

I think its nice to see lots of work mates out having diner after work, and maybe sharing a bottle of bLACK. Again in the Uk we don't do this to the same extent.

So the buscompany would have to pay for a driver -and- a ticket seller, at a rate of several thousand euro's a month (lets say at least 90.000 Baht a month employer costs) to save an average of well lets say 1 minute a stop, 16 stops an hour, 8 hour shifts = 50 hours saved per month for 90K baht..

Compare this with the 3 - 4K the ticket seller makes over here and it makes more sense on money saved on fuel alone..

I'd say lower the dutch salaries :)

-JD-

It's also a way to tackle the unemployment problems. :)

ND,

Special ATM's here that allow you to deposit cash, it gets counted, if you agree that right amount counted punch in the persons account number you want it to go too and bingo, they have cash in their account, no long queues to join to do so.

My girl uses those machines every week, no idea there are none of those in the West. Would be a nice addition.

Guest lazyphil

i like the way thais leave the engine running while pumping gas/petrol, saves the starter motor wear and tear!

(I'm going to send this to Viz top tips section!!)

That motorbikes are capable of carrying 2 adults and 3 children, that your average size pick-up can carry up to 19 people, that red lights are optional, that the white lines on roads are absolutely useless, it is safe to overtake on a blind corner.

i like the way thais leave the engine running while pumping gas/petrol, saves the starter motor wear and tear!

(I'm going to send this to Viz top tips section!!)

Excuse my mechanical ignorance. Is is bad to leave your car engine running when putting gas in the car. Or maybe dangerous?

Archived