Media bias

Flashermac

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dunno if many guys have seen this short film, "Pallywood" about how shootings and riots etc. are often scripted and staged for an all too eager Big Media. Quite interesting.

Pallywood

This is amazing stuff. Sometimes they really do get shot and sometimes they fake it for the media. Damn they are devious. I'm starting to think those pesky Arabs will use any trick in the book.

Just so you guys know how CNN works things in the US. They produce hour long programs about the current conflict. They have reporters embedded with the israelis. None are embedded with hezbollah militants.

When the narrator talks about hezbollah, invariably the screen flashes to footage of militants marching in organized fashion, usually highstepping or some other exagerrated movement. Or a group of militants with black masks. The connection a non-alert viewer (most americans?)will make is that hezbollah are militants. No footage other than military type scenes are shown whenever the narrator discusses hezbollah.

CNN does the exact same thing when it does a program on Iran. Whenever iranians are shown, it is either footage of:

1. People in the street screaming, chanting, clenched fists in the air and/or burning an american flag; or

2. A military parade showing iranian brigades marching; or

3. President Ahmadinejad with a sinister look on his face.

You will rarely see any other type of scene when the narrator is discussing iran. If CNN were state owned this would be perfectly natural and understandable. Since it is not, and it will often criticise the Bush administrations domestic policies, I cannot figure out why it is so systematic in presenting arabs the way it does.

When the narrator talks about hezbollah, invariably the screen flashes to footage of militants marching in organized fashion, usually highstepping or some other exagerrated movement. Or a group of militants with black masks. The connection a non-alert viewer (most americans?)will make is that hezbollah are militants. No footage other than military type scenes are shown whenever the narrator discusses hezbollah.

CNN does the exact same thing when it does a program on Iran. Whenever iranians are shown, it is either footage of:

1. People in the street screaming, chanting, clenched fists in the air and/or burning an american flag; or

2. A military parade showing iranian brigades marching; or

3. President Ahmadinejad with a sinister look on his face.

You will rarely see any other type of scene when the narrator is discussing iran. If CNN were state owned this would be perfectly natural and understandable. Since it is not, and it will often criticise the Bush administrations domestic policies, I cannot figure out why it is so systematic in presenting arabs the way it does.

Traditionally I think Americans have been schooled (by Hollywood) to see Arabs as sleazy oil sheiks or scruffy wogs who stab people in back alleys.

Showing them marching in lines and using modern weapons efficiently could be a counter productive propaganda ploy. It may even backfire. They have gotten quite media savvy over the years.

I'm not sure how CNN news editors go about matching pictures to stories. I think they just have a limited amount of stock footage. Hezbullah? OK guys marching in Beirut. Palestinians? Kids throwing stones. Iran? Angry crowds. etc.

Archived