Coup Declared!

Nervous_Dog

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here in mid-Sukhumvit area of Bangkok, we're still waiting for some excitement, but, so far, no tanks, no police, nothing unusual around here.

Traffic on Sukhumvit is light, but cars and taxis are coming and going, the lights are on, the phones and the Internet are both working normally.

I was out getting a food massage, when girl came into the shop saying over and over, "ree-va-luu-shun, ree-va-luu-shun".

She talked briefly to owner of shop, then went out -- casually, almost indifferent.

Nobody seemed upset at all.

When my massage was finished, owner of shop said, calmly,

"You go home now, okay, na? Have ree-va-luu-shuun. Have curfew. You go home, please."

I live just down the block.

In my building, lobby staff huddled over their cell phones, talking quietly, looking serious, but not distressed.

They said to me, "Ratchadamnern only have problem."

I've seen them look more worried during a heavy rain storm.

BangkokPost.com is unreachable from my location.

I have access to computers in Northern Europe via tunnel.

Can not access BangkokPost.com via Europe either.

Can see web site for The Nation, but coming in slow.

The Nation's web site taking a ultra-cautious path of saying nothing beyond: "Taksin declares ...".

The "Lite" version is quicker to access: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/index_lite.php

This is no "insider trading scam" for sure. Thai Visa is up, reporting:

BANGKOK: (CNN) -- Tanks rolled through the streets of Bangkok, Thailand, on Tuesday amid reports of an attempted coup, witnesses tell CNN.

Members of the Thai military are attempting to seize power but Thailand's leadership expects everything to return to normal soon, Deputy Prime Minister Surakiart Sathirathai told CNN.

Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra -- currently at the U.N. headquarters in New York -- went on a government-owned TV station and declared a state of emergency, The Associated Press reported.

The government has maintained control of the capital and the surrounding areas, according a statement on Thailand's state-controled Army television. The statement asked for residents to remain calm and await further announcements.

According to officials at the Thai mission at the United Nations, Thaksin has moved up his speech to the General Assembly to Tuesday night and will return to Bangkok after his address.

He had been scheduled to address the assembly on Wednesday.

Thailand operates as a constitutional monarchy, with the king as head of state and the prime minister leading the government. The country is an ally of the U.S. and contributed troops to the U.S.-led military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Thaksin has been under considerable pressure to step down.

Elections in Thailand are scheduled for November after the country's constitutional court ruled April's vote was unconstitutional.

Thaksin had called for the elections in April, three years early, after opponents accused the billionaire leader of abusing the country's system of checks and balances and bending government policy to benefit his family's business.

--CNN 2006-09-19 23:27

CNN had video from BKK, Live, should Tanks, traffic etc...I was able to just call into BKK 3 times to Mobiles. Not surprising, one girl I spoke to, had no idea of what was going on.

Don't believe the hype. 3 hours ago just when the big volume New York Market opened the Baht was trading at 37.21....how convenient to launch a coup at this exact time.

Good catch.

Surebet certainly is awake!

Even if we don't get detailed news, we can watch the impact on events indirectly via the international foreign exchange markets.

Traders there have deep and dependable sources far beyond the average news reports.

Surebet, I hope you can add more to that perspective.

Archived