Electrical color codes

Bangkoktraveler

Unless of course they are following the current EU/CE standards, then it would be brown (positive), blue (neutral) and green w/yellow tracer (ground/earth).

Or three phase as brown, black and grey with a blue neutral conductor (EU/CE standard), in place of the traditional UK-version of red, yellow and blue with a black neutral. But the bi-colour green/yellow marking of earth/ground is the same.

99% sure that there will be no Thailand circuits with US wire colors, so I will not even go there...

Cheers,

SD

You will need to go to the Lectric office. Chances are they will have a big chart on the wall, all in Thai of course but you should be able to make it out. One section will have the rates for single phase, not sure but I think it is 10A, 30A and 100A capacity. Second section should be for three phase, not sure what the capacities are stated as for that but figure on the three phase variations of the above. So it should be obvious when you study the chart what it is. Just go point to the one you want and watch everybody recoil in horror at the price of getting humogous 3ph, about 1000 baht I think.

Several house around us have 3ph and beginning to think I should have done the same but don't want go dig it all up now. Getting it for domestic premises is no problem though but you will pay that bit more.

Cheers,

M.

Tell me a country that does not have 3-Phase?

Three-phase is a common method of electric power transmission. It is a type of polyphase system used to power motors and many other devices.

Three phase systems may or may not have a neutral wire. A neutral wire allows the three phase system to use a higher voltage while still supporting lower voltage single phase appliances. In high voltage distribution situations it is common not to have a neutral wire as the loads can simply be connected between phases (phase-phase connection).

Three phase has properties that make it very desirable in electric power systems. Firstly the phase currents tend to cancel one another (summing to zero in the case of a linear balanced load). This makes it possible to eliminate the neutral conductor on some lines. Secondly power transfer into a linear balanced load is constant, which helps to reduce generator and motor vibrations. Finally, three-phase systems can produce a magnetic field that rotates in a specified direction, which simplifies the design of electric motors. Three is the lowest phase order to exhibit all of these properties.

Archived