Appropriate response to a bar girl's

wonderlust

Agree with slappers

Always be respectful and you will be treated well.

Wai

If you want to use the Thai greeting (â??Waiâ??) with your hands in prayer, itâ??s probably better just to put them at chest height. There are many heights to put them at, all differing levels of respect. Chest height means â??friendâ?? and is used when you do not know the social standing of the other. Always acknowledge a Wai even if by a nod of the head, very rude not to. Pic not posted.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

having lived here for almost six years and doing business aat high levels . I haave my phiosophy on the wai. I wai my wifes parents when arriving and depaarting, cultural thing. Most everywhere else I do the polite smile and nod. Except with Gov't officiaal;s whose ass I haaave to kiss or our business partner who iss a bigtime Hiso mam Luang ( for those who know what that means).

As for everyone else I aam of the belief that as a "Falang" I aaam not expected to understaaaand the subtle nuaances of the wai.

LL

I was out with a friend in Chiangmai and took him to a kebab stall which had seats when we sat down he wai his kebab to my horror.I ask him what he his was doing.I advise him its not nessacary.I think on this occasion his wife has been misinforming him but also he is one of those types who tries to behave a little too much like a local but comes across more like a third world retard.

Some good sense from Cent and DOG here, not that that's any surprise.

My question is: Is it possible to wai while needing to have your hand held at the same time?

What is the sound of one hand waiing?

I'll also note that if you've lived in Thailand or spent any appreciable time there you'll have inevitably observed Thais breaking almost every "rule" when it comes to the local version of manners, including well-off Thais waiing service staff.

As has already been observed in somewhat different terms, a lot of Thais think white people are ill-mannered fools, so try to get the customs right, but don't worry too much, especially if you're only visiting. You're not really going to fit in anyway and you're not trying to break into high society or angling for that big invitation to the Palace. If you're attending some sort of ceremony or going to a reception or party that's non-BG related just ask a Thai friend or your host for a little guidance.

That said, I do agree that almost all waiing in the bars is pretty silly.

By the way, what's this nonsense from the fool who said that one wouldn't shake the hand of one's CEO? I've yet to meet a CEO who wouldn't shake my hand upon being introduced (usually accompanied by a long, lingering gaze and the question "Didn't I meet you on a summer cruise?"--but I digress), and one who didn't would be thought rude and unbearably snotty. Perhaps we need a multi-page thread on proper handshake procedure.

Archived