Appropriate response to a bar girl's

wonderlust

I am admiring your persistence "the_numbers", but gotta say you are wasting your time. After all we have just lived and worked here for years. We are not fortunate enough to have a "Mother from a country where waing was invented". Clearly we are wrong, and I, for one, shall instantly change my ways, and will hence forth wai small children, waiters, naked go go dancers, dogs, cats, umberellas and random pieces of street. I am enlightened.

-j-

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I, for one, shall instantly change my ways, and will hence forth wai small children, waiters, naked go go dancers, dogs, cats, umberellas and random pieces of street. I am enlightened.

-j-

And the Thai people will certainly not look at you as if you need medication. They will think you are very jai-dee. :)

Staff usually wai because they are told too it is policy at alot of places regardless of the cultural implication you are hung up on :dunno:

Dunno if my posts got lost in translation or if you don't read them! The point I was trying to establish was about a waitress that receives money from you! She isn't waing at you, she honors the kings portait on the bill or the coin! I don't think the manager needs to tell his staff to do that, but maybe we haven't been talking about the same thing :) Anyways, waing at the king is djai dee and a proper wai is symbolising "giving your heart". Farangs can do that if they know what they are doing, If I was convinced that waing was a good thing then I would do it regardless what the waitress or other think about me! The topics was wide spread and waing was discussed as something low and stupid, I don't agree with that!

Well I am JUST A RESIDENT in this country, so I am maybe not qualified enough to talk with you but I find it amazing how you twisted that handshake thing. :) You brought it up and i explained both ways, Thai-Thai and Farang-Thai, so why you are saing it is a claim and why are you pretending i haven't explained the Thai_Farang thing? Just wanna know why you do that? And aren't you man enough to say you don't know the answer? If you wouldn't care you wouldn't reply to my post! You just didn't know it and YOU were saying so much but not the one thing I asked you for! Instead you and another guys keep on mentioning how long you life here! It means not that much as you think!

I didn't even meant to offend you, the offence came from you because you are against something which you don't even know the meaning of! That's why I didn't backed off. You and others keep on saying I would wai everyone, even little children. You think you make me boil by that? I clearly stated who I am waing to! You guys are obviously older than me, claim to have more experience (true) and be wiser (untrue) according to your age and still noone was able to give a proper response, instead you wise people trying to be cynical, twisting my words out of context to cover up your own lack of knownledge! I am aware that my lack of english makes me sound stupid sometimes, I wasn't privileged enough to learn it in school, I had to learn it from movies.

Anyways, no offence, i just wish that people would start discussin without throwing these girly pinches at other posters! As the older ones you should know that there are many different opinions and how to discuss them in a propper way! Just because one is talking louder it doesn't make it right!

To answer the original question, what is the appropriate response... to a BG

"A smack in the face", because 90% of them give you a bogus wai and it has nothing to do with showing you their respect!

All I know is that waitress better give me a proper wai or it is no tip for her! And believe me!

Actually you have been the 1 person who had mentioned the unpropper wais before! Sometimes I just sit there and look around and see BGs or Waitresses pointing with the foot into the direction of a farang, from what I know that is a very disrespecting gesture!

I always tip even when she gives me the SUCKER wai, but I won't tip the waitress by giving her the money into her hand, I leave the money on the tablet so she has to share it after work with all of her collegues!

I think none of the tourists knows that he is supposed to tip the waitress and the bar, i actually have not seen many times that the farang tips the waitress and leaves some coins on the plate! Som Nam Na for bad waing ;)

Hi,

"She isn't waing at you, she honors the kings portait on the bill or the coin!"

I've stayed out of this so far, but that statement is just totally out there. She wais you because you have just paid, the wai is a thank you.

Cashiers at the big supermarkets do it as well, not because they like me or I tipped much, but because it is part of their job.

No or low tip and the wai is likely purely because she was told she has to do it. Decent or high tip and the wai may include a personal thank you for the tip as well.

Sanuk!

I wai'd myself in the mirror this morning and said some nasty things about myself under my breath.

When I realized that I had both wai'd myself [uGH!] and muttered disrespectful comments at me, I decided not to leave a tip for myself.

I tend not to wai myself in the mirror unless I wai first. Sometimes this ends up in a stare off, usually I will relent and wai and at the exact same time my reflection decides to wai.

Since we are perfect equals this is 100% correct, right?

Hi,

"She isn't waing at you, she honors the kings portait on the bill or the coin!"

I've stayed out of this so far, but that statement is just totally out there. She wais you because you have just paid, the wai is a thank you.

Cashiers at the big supermarkets do it as well, not because they like me or I tipped much, but because it is part of their job.

Sorry I disagree! That is not what I have learned and that is not what I have been told in the last 3 days when I have asked almost every girl I have met! 9 out of 10 girls told me that wai is supposed to honor HM the King when she first recieves the money, another way will follow when you tip and another one when you leave! The 2nd and 3rd wai are related to their work, the first one for the king!

I asked the question without giving them multiple choice answers, the answer was brought up by them!

Hi, Cashiers at the big supermarkets do it as well, not because they like me or I tipped much, but because it is part of their job.

Sanuk!

That was my understanding as I mentioned before. The only certainty I now is to wai elders as a sign of respect. As far as everyone else goes it's just a physical version of "thank you" or "good morning" etc. I think it's more about manners than anything.

Archived