Appropriate response to a bar girl's

wonderlust

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we dont understand what the wai was for we should definately not wai back! But guys thinking it was a low thing to do is wrong, everyone gotta make his own rules, I use to nod too and when I meet older people, like parents of friends, they get a wai from me (from the heart)

So why is a thai person waing when she receives money? Before we discuss the yes or no on waing, we should understand the meaning, shouldn't we? After that we can all agree to nodding!

CT, your just wrong and won't back down, but if you wanna wai anyone it is your choice.

Just don't say it like it is "proper", as no Thai would do it to the waitstaff or hotel porter. It doesn't make you jai dee either except in a superficial manner.

I stand on that alot of other Thais will think you are schmucks for doing it. Oh, and if you think only "greasy upcountry Thais" are racist you are totally out to lunch.

:rotfl:

Racism permeates all levels of society even the well educated in this country. So, I'll leave this argument now since we are playing Thai expert. I'm not one [expert] and have just lived and worked with Thais many years. I have just espoused what numerous other people said, which is be a farang and not pseudo Thai especially as a visitor to the Kingdom. Josh was right on that..

A handshake is generally your best bet.

Knowing why someone wais, as you give the waitress checklist above obviously does not stop you from doing a wai back to table servers :dunno: which is off IMHO. Most bar owners order the girls to wai in fact... Me and OH know well.

So is your checklist... philosophical? :o

Cheers,

theNumbers

you gotta learn to read buddy! I said i don't do it, I am saying farang who think it is a low thing to do are wrong! Again out of context and no answer because you simply don't know it!

A handshake? Actually thais find that disgusting in between their own people, they are doing it for us because it is our way to greet each other! Thais don't like to touch other peoples hands!

I read so many bla bla bla! That you are married and work with thais doesn't mean you know everything! It might be a good idea not to wai to my business partners, a waitress is a whole different society level as a business partner that you are supposed to treat equal! Giving back a wai to a waitress is neither low nor wrong (still wouldnt do it) I am just saying that she would appreciate it. It is a gesture of djai dee, you might wanna watch a wai in slow motion and you get the idea "Mr I laugh about things because I live here"

I am a resident and I have a mother from a country where waing was invented, oh yeah what I know!

And yes, racism is huge here and wide spreaded in all social levels, that is the only point where I agree with you!

Are you going to answer the question or you wanna keep on laughing by twisting and overreading what I am saying?

I said it before to someone else, no problem when someone disagrees, when someone is trying to get personal and trying to twist my words to make a point, he doesnt have a point!

ps

it is not a checklist, it is a multiple choice question, where you dont seem to know the answer, which is sad because the correct answer is really interesting to know!

Answer your own question. Not all staff wai when they pick up a bill, and many don't upcountry at all. Staff usually wai because they are told too it is policy at alot of places regardless of the cultural implication you are hung up on :dunno:

Either way its funny you are all wound up over this thread. I read your posts, and said what I think. If you got a problem or whatever hey "mai pen rai"...

Thais find handshakes disgusting? Were we talking about wais among Thais??? NO. The OP was about BG's. Your claims are killing me here and they are off topic. Its silly to keep quabbling. You can wai a girls pussy before you go to town for all I care.. :beer:

Cheers,

theNumbers

P.S. You said "racist" upcountry Thais look down at farangs that wai, but now you agree racism is widespread.

Archived