Appropriate response to a bar girl's

wonderlust

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol :rotfl:

most likely, can't break a routine ;)

Cahiers wai for the same reasons, every thai person that receives money will wai. Even at the street pork bbq at 3rd road they are waing when they get the money! It is not about tip!

Why not just ask as many thai people as possible, I am sure many of them will tell you the same that I was told!

Thais also 5tell us we are handsome men, and good in bed. Which is only true in my case, hence I don't believe what they tell me. I'll go back to the start of tyhe thread, where we had Thai wives disagreeing on who to wai and why.

I'll go with Numbers and Josh (god it kills me to do it) and KS on this one. As for waing the money because it has the King's picture...never heard that before, ran it passed my teacher via email, she says no. Additionally I will point out that some places have a greeter at the door who just wais you as you enter, and says Sawadi Ka. And no money changes hands. So well, go figure that one.

And again, as an expert tourist, I will say anyone waing me better do it right, or I will tell them in perfect Thai to fuck off and do it right!

Cahiers wai for the same reasons, every thai person that receives money will wai. Even at the street pork bbq at 3rd road they are waing when they get the money! It is not about tip!

Why not just ask as many thai people as possible, I am sure many of them will tell you the same that I was told!

No wai from fruit vendor, ice cream vendor, OJ vendor, spring roll vendor, etc.

Troy, why is it that you are taking this wai thing so personally? As far as I can see everybody here disagrees with your POV and rightly so. Thai culture looks very superficial and loving on the outside but is much more layered than that. With all respect to your mam, she is NOT Thai and the wai while originally taken up as a sign from the heart is unfortunately not only that in LoS anymore. There is a difference where Indians, Nepali's, Tibetans wai you you can feel the intensity of their gesture. Not that this cant happen in Thailand but it is much more structured and because of that taken away from the heart energy. Asking BGs questions with multiple choice answers does not mean you get a true answer. Getting true answers can take YEARS of intensely living with Thai ppl, especially in the bargirl scene. Now you are living there and that is really good to learn but acknowledge that that is what you are doing instead of feeling so attacked when boarders speak Truth about stuff every Thai lover has to learn. Dont kid yourself cause you have been spending more time in LOS and say the above experts are no experts, while thinking you are. To me it sounds like you are still in culture shock, like each of the experts had to go thru. Culture shock is not a matter of weeks or months in the case of Thailand cause of so much glossy, looks-like-lovey stuff.

And BTW the only non-racist Thais I know have been living abroad for years and have seen other life styles and accomplished them themselves.

For my self I love to give every body who wais me a wai but I do know thats childish and same like you connecting it to the heart energy. But you can feel the difference when somebody is waing from the heart or from courtesy. I hardly wai since I know I make a fool of myself and will never learn the subtleties of waing since I am not brought up with that stuff.

Archived