And people say Farangs are bad

Nervous_Dog

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes' date=' because killing your own child doesnt' bring shame to the family ..... unbelivable how far people are willing to let them self be ruled by culture and shame, and how warped a culture could get. [/quote']

Culture, as a body of learned behaviors adopted to a given human society, acts rather like a template shaping behavior and awareness within a human society from generation to generation. So culture is part of all learned behavior and in some shaping form or consciousness prior to behavior as well. This is usually around and can be in place prior to the birth of an individual. But all cultures are unique and need to be respected not judged. I agree that some behaviours appear barbaric, but only when we impose our cultural values on them.

It's a differance between imposing on others and holding a preferance your self. I would not suggest going to war to change such a culture, but an open dialouge could perhaps in time lead to a change if you make or have a good enough case.

Most likely such a practice would not survive a transition to greater gender equality anyway and that's what we strive for isn't it ;)

..But all cultures are unique and need to be respected not judged. I agree that some behaviours appear barbaric' date=' but only when we impose our cultural values on them.[/quote']

I agree, gang banging and/or killing your daughter should not be considered "barbaric" since all cultures unique and need to be respected. :doah:

You don't need to respect other cultures, you need to respect that others can come to a diffrent conclution than you do.

You don't need to respect other cultures, you need to respect that others can come to a diffrent conclution than you do.

That is a very nice term in theory while the reality says that parents would kill their daughter because she braught "shame" over her family. I don't respect murder! In some african cultures they remove the clitoris of a girl that she can't feel satisfaction and focus on more important things! No I don't really need to respect everything! I am neither a christian nor a muslim but when I see what people are willing to do amongst those radical muslims I have to say that it is scaring the shit out of me, just think about the Denmark Cartoon or the recent comment of the Pope about the prophet Mohamad, it is scary and it is getting worse but we are supposed to tolerate and respect certain behaviors. That is a hard thing to ask from me to be honest!

Yes' date=' because killing your own child doesnt' bring shame to the family ..... unbelivable how far people are willing to let them self be ruled by culture and shame, and how warped a culture could get. [/quote']

Culture, as a body of learned behaviors adopted to a given human society, acts rather like a template shaping behavior and awareness within a human society from generation to generation. So culture is part of all learned behavior and in some shaping form or consciousness prior to behavior as well. This is usually around and can be in place prior to the birth of an individual. But all cultures are unique and need to be respected not judged. I agree that some behaviours appear barbaric, but only when we impose our cultural values on them.

Sorry but this statement of yours is total garbage. Gang raping and killing a girl because she had sex does not need to be respected, it needs to be looked at in the context in which it occurs. These rules are about male domination and power over female behaviour, they are not cultural, but are perversions of sharia law, due to an individuals or groups decision to create such a rule/law in response to others behaviour.

Cultures and therefore modes of behaviour are created by people. If the people involved were powerful but highly disturbed individuals, the rules they invoke are going to follow such thinking and often involve highly flawed logic and be based upon personal value systems of those who made the rules.

example...

in WW2 it was part of German culture to view the Jews as vermin.

Following your profound logic, we should have respected this. Utter rubbish bust1...really....if something is clearly dysfunctional and involves causing pain and death to others, it is clearly wrong. Nothing cultural about it. It is made by people in the first place. Upheld by those who have an interest in maintaining it and if you look at the example of the honour killing and gang rape you can clearly see it is about male control over women. Is this correct? Should men dominate women by threats of death and rape? Your view seems to suggest that is acceptable and should be respected....

If something is wrong, it is clearly and obviously wrong. It is the people involved who decide, create and maintain such things. As such 'culture' is a dynamic, ever changing thing. It is not set in stone and changes depending upon those who have assumed power. That is the problem! It is the people in authority who decide the culural norms and as such challenges are required! By no means do i think the western culture is perfect and should be respected!!! I will always challenge its values, why should i not be able to critically examine others? And furthermore, why shouldn't a culture be open to criticism? Why do i have accept and respect? I abhor honour killings and gang rape. I will never accept such things. Your thinking on this matter is to me, very strange.

"...Most likely such a practice would not survive a transition to greater gender equality anyway and that's what we strive for isn't it..."

What kind of feminized pussy whipped garbage is this? No we are not going for gender equality...there can never be such a thing. The women's movement never wanted equality, they wanted special privilidges, and a superior edge over men, and they pretty much got it, at least in the courts and the work place.

Somethings women do better, somethings men do better, simple facts, but 100% equal? never, cannot, willnot be...

You don't need to respect other cultures' date=' you need to respect that others can come to a diffrent conclution than you do.[/quote']

That is a very nice term in theory while the reality says that parents would kill their daughter because she braught "shame" over her family. I don't respect murder! In some african cultures they remove the clitoris of a girl that she can't feel satisfaction and focus on more important things! No I don't really need to respect everything! I am neither a christian nor a muslim but when I see what people are willing to do amongst those radical muslims I have to say that it is scaring the shit out of me, just think about the Denmark Cartoon or the recent comment of the Pope about the prophet Mohamad, it is scary and it is getting worse but we are supposed to tolerate and respect certain behaviors. That is a hard thing to ask from me to be honest!

With the Danish cartoon insident we see that people outside of Denmark did not respect the right of Denmark to put freedom of speach and freedom of press as a value and react with a desire for violence.

In Iraq we the west trying to force their democracy on others with a predictable outcome. Many in Iraq wants a form of democracy but not dictated from the west but formed by their own incorporating their culture.

It's the same conflict. The thought that we have a right to enforce our will on other nations.

Sorry but this statement of yours is total garbage.

example...

in WW2 it was part of German culture to view the Jews as vermin.

Following your profound logic, we should have respected this. Utter rubbish bust1

It is not a statement but an accurate explanation of what a "culture" is. Shoot the message not the messanger. WW2 is a very poor example as the Nazi Party were just that a political entity not a culture.

In Iraq we the west trying to force their democracy on others with a predictable outcome. Many in Iraq wants a form of democracy but not dictated from the west but formed by their own incorporating their culture.

"By we the west" please don't include me! The majority of the world didn't wanted it, never forget that, now since this bullshit happenend the WEST doesnt have another choice than trying to install democracy, you can't just destroy a country and it's government without trying to rebuild it! Of course the west is using democracy, since it works best for us and best for the world!

Installing democracy is not a bad thing in my book, invading a country for absolutely no valid reason is!

Archived