Any advice for a lucky bastard?

Fidel

A friend of mine who has never been to Thailand and knows nothing about it just sent me this message:

"I was wondering if you could tell me a few things, if you have the time. I have been asked to move to Bangkok to work in my company's office out there, which is something I never really considered but which obviously intrigues me. I know you lived in Thailand for a while, so I was wondering if you could tell me what it would be like.

I realise Bangkok is just a big city but I'm thinking of things like cost of living, quality of life, etc. What is accommodation like? Is it safe? What would a person, pasty of skin and quiet of nature, need to consider before making the decision to move, and how would one go about settling in? Any do's and don'ts?

If you could give me any advice that would be much appreciated."

So, have you guys got any advice for him? I'm gonna tell him to log in here and check it out.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with sporty, Go for it. Get all he can money wise. Have a clause in contract if not working out he can come back to his old. postition same scale and rank as prior to transfer.

Make them pay all moving cost. Work in housing allowance. etc etc.

Lucky bastard..

No work in my field over there, well not on the scale as I do.. I need a job consulating there.. HaHa

Tell him good luck

Guest lazyphil

<

That'll make a big difference.>>

Why?....i have some friends (before i'd been to los), both british, with a child who lived in los/bkk for several years as a family, he worked for a wildlife conservation org, last time i spoke to his mrs she was desperate for him to search out another contract in los, shes a huge los fan, although i can imagine its not every spouses cup of tea tagging along with hubby, exceptions happen.....

<

Why?....i have some friends (before i'd been to los), both british, with a child who lived in los/bkk for several years as a family, he worked for a wildlife conservation org, last time i spoke to his mrs she was desperate for him to search out another contract in los, shes a huge los fan, although i can imagine its not every spouses cup of tea tagging along with hubby, exceptions happen.....

I also wonder why having a family would make a difference. :confused: The majority of the expats in my company have families, They all like it here. compared to most other overseas assignments, Thailand is very nice.

Most of the families live in the Nichada Thani area.

TH

Just in case of temporary insanity and he declines the offer, please send me a PT with details of where to send my C.V.

Of course, it would help to know what field I need to be expert in, but I am extremely adaptable and can handle almost any situation..

:grinyes::grinyes:

(Brain Surgery & Lion taming excluded)

I wait with baited breath

Cheers DS :grinyes::beer::grinyes:

<

Well, one of the first things you'd think about would be the quality of schools, compared to the option of staying where you are.

Then, you'd have to ask yourself if you're going to indulge in the nightlife, will you get swallowed up by it, and how tolerant will your wife be to any of it.

Without having been there, I'm not sure the guy would know, and we don't have enough background about him to give advice.

I haven't ever lived and worked in Thailand, so I can't give any advice at all, but those are the things I'd be thinking about.

Some guys do really well as professionals and family men, while others lose the plot completely, married or not.

It's not for everyone, me thinks, as much as most of us would jump at the opportunity.

Thanks for the responses guys, he's single.. and early thirties. You should have heard my profanity littered response to him... sitting here in Islamabad. I'll get him to log on here. Maybe he'd even oblige us with a report on arrival (some time around January, I believe).

Archived