Any advice for a lucky bastard?

Fidel

So he wants to move to a country which just had a coup, has Muslim insurgency problems, running drug battles on the northern border, flooding problems increasing every year, Pattaya jumping now an official sport, tightening its visa/work permit belt and making it very unfriendly and difficult to live here, a place known for a sex pervert hang-out and 80% of the time Thailand makes the news, it is because of some prostitution story and top it off a country of an estimated 1 million AIDS/HIV cases welcome you with open arms...

I wouldn't say LOS is going to make anyone's list of a top foreign re-location spot anytime soon...

How long can we keep this paradise a secret?

CB

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gummi,

My daughter did one semester at an international high school just outside of Manila. Between tuition and dormatory lodging, it cost us something like $20K, not to mention other expenses. Ouch!

The folks with money buy (or rent) condos within the complex for their children. :shocked:

Of course there were cheaper options, but you try to do the best for your kid. :doah:

It was quite hard for me to wrap my head around what I had to pay for college after going to a pretty decent public school in the US.

If I had kids, by the time they reached school age, I'd have to pay more for them per year in Thailand just for grade school than college in the US.

That's just wrong!

<>

It was quite hard for me to wrap my head around what I had to pay for college after going to a pretty decent public school in the US.

If I had kids, by the time they reached school age, I'd have to pay more for them per year in Thailand just for grade school than college in the US.

That's just wrong!

<>

Why is it wrong? Have you ever been out to ISB and seen the facility? Have you compared the fees with comparable private schools in the US and UK (called public schools there)?

I don't disagree that the fees are high and are mostly paid by employers, but if you want to send your kid to a private school in the US with comparable facilities, faculty, and teacher/child ratios, I think you will see they are not that far off.

TH

TH have to disagree, maybe ISB is the exception, but Rasami wheremy kid goes too, awefull school, teachers paid less than what they would earn in Australia, crappy grounds, and more expensive than a good Aussie school

Why does she go there, because it at least teachers her English according to a brit curiculm, but no playground, no grounds, tiny pool, anywhere else not worth the $

TH have to disagree, maybe ISB is the exception, but Rasami wheremy kid goes too, awefull school, teachers paid less than what they would earn in Australia, crappy grounds, and more expensive than a good Aussie school

Why does she go there, because it at least teachers her English according to a brit curiculm, but no playground, no grounds, tiny pool, anywhere else not worth the $

For Brit curiculm, have you looked at Harrow or Patana. Of course, the fees are almost triple what you are paying at Rasami. Which is my point, you get what you are paying for.

TH

No - thats not the point, Those are very high end schools, and similar I would hope to other high end schools in home countries.

However the topic is PAID EDUCATION including all the schools.

For the fees I am paying at Rasami I could get a better paid education for the same price or less in Australia.

I am not there, and owning my own business Rasami is all I can afford, PLUS it is close. I hate Bangkok Traffic and I couldn;t subject my kids to huge distances.

I know one chap who was happy with the level of education harrow gave his kids, but the commuting meant his children didn;t get to see him much nor enjoy the process. In the end he sent them to boarding school in Edinbourgh, where it worked out that with 6 week trips there between him and his wife, the kids where happier and the family ddly had better quality time together

Schools here suck because they are designed as money makers first. NOT educational facilities.

They gain great tax advantages, and poorly regulated, and attract many poor teachers. Some of them mates of mine :( who I doubt would get a job in a similar school in Australia USA etc.

They pay LESS than what the wages are for a teacher of position would get back home.

Compere this to other expat industries, where expats are given HIGHER wages to be here, rather than lower wages. This is a good indicator.

So, when the local staff are so lowly paid, the family owning the scchool has the land, and farang teachers lowly paid, how does the school justify charging what it does?

Because it has a captive market of Farangs who need international schools and Chinese Thais who greatly respect education.

niche market niche prices.

There are more than 1 good international school by the way, there are a couple, some of the Catholic ones are good, some of the small ones are good.

But given bangkok layout, sometimes whats close to home is not so good.

For a final point, my kids will return to australia around age 10 - 12 to finish school there.

DOG

Why is it wrong? Have you ever been out to ISB and seen the facility? Have you compared the fees with comparable private schools in the US and UK (called public schools there)?

Haven't been to ISB, but been to Harrows and several others.

Why is it 'wrong'? 'Fair' or 'bad value' would probably be better.

The why is because they don't equate. I can send a kid to a quality University in the States where they can do cutting edge research with noble laureates and the top minds in their fields OR I can send them to an elementary/grade school at the same price in a place where the cost of living is signficantly less being taught/trained by decent but not cutting edge professionals where if there is a shortage, a call goes out to the backpacker crowd for temporary fill-ins (well, usually done by word of mouth but every so often they do get some 'backpacker' type fillins. Also, I'd bet money that each and every one of the 'better' institutions here in Thailand have on the payroll people with fake credentials.

:(

unfairly wrong value for the money but what are the alternatives?

<>

YOU took the words right out of my mouth. I'll be there ina heartbeat....

where do i send my CV??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Archived