North Korea tests nuclear weapon

elef

...and why are the USA moaning?,who apart from them has dropped the uktimate weapon (at the time) on women and children?.

Ask someone that was in a Japanese POW camp if the USA should have dropped the bomb on Japan...want to put money on what the answer will be???

After my father (who was in WW II) and I walked out of the Peace Museum in Hiroshima, my father said one thing..."they never should have started it".

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True enough, but it is beleived Japan was nuked for political reasons. At the time, there was a concern Japan was very close to surrender to Russia and the US didn't want that. So they quickly hit them with what they had without any military strategy to follow it up in the hope Japan would surrender to the USA which they calculated correctly, as they did.

So they quickly hit them with what they had without any military strategy to follow it up in the hope Japan would surrender to the USA which they calculated correctly' date=' as they did.[/quote']

...and they still have no follow up or exit strategy!

The exit strategy is for the Iraq people to get off their dead azz and take control of their country!

For WW II, if Japan didn't surrender, a ground attack was planned.

Japan knew this and they were preparing. A friend, now deceased, said she was a teenager in Tokyo and the children were trained to fight with sharpened sticks to defend against the ground assult.

During the Tokyo air raids, she and others would hide in the churches, as the USA would not bomb them.

I strongly that all world leaders spend four or more hours at the Hiroshima Peace Museum, it is extremely moving! If you come out of there and do not curse the existance of nukes, then you are not human.

Neo,

I have read this. As well, there has been speculation that the USA wanted to send a message to Russia, and the world that they had this, and would use it. While I tend to doubt it, the claim (officially) has always been that the Planners of the nuke drops, had no idea as to just how much damage they would do, hence they chose a populated area, so as any damage beign effective...you would think after the first, the point would have been made, and known...but hind sight is 20/20...ashamed the world has not learned.

<< During the Tokyo air raids, she and others would hide in the churches, as the USA would not bomb them. >>

A Thai colleague years ago had been a child during WWII. She told me the Japanese liked to set up their camps in Buddhist temples, figuring the Allies would be reluctant to bomb them.

A good case can be made for dropping the first atomic bomb on Hiroshima. But the second bombing is another matter. One can easily get the feeling that the US dropped it for two reasons: (1) as a message to Stalin and (2) to see if it would work.

p.s. The Japanese toned down their "victim" rhetoric somewhat after documents came out detailing their own efforts to build nukes during the war.

My father told me his regiment was scheduled to be sent from Europe to the States after V-E Day, moved by train to California, and then be loaded up for the invasion of Japan. I've seen the estimates on the horrendous casualties -- on both sides -- expected in conquering the Japanese main islands. Remember that thousands of civilians committed suicide on Okinawa when the Yanks landed. Entire families threw themselves off of the cliffs into the sea!

The deaths from the bombs actually were considerably less than those from the fire bombings of Tokyo and other Japanese cities. WWII was a nasty war and both sides did things that post-war they cannot be proud of.

Archived