Stickman gone?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What? Details, tell us more...then we can build a conspiracy story around it all... :)

The question really becomes who did what first...and who went too far...I am sure there is lots more to all of this than we know...no doubt, it will be on the web soon enough...my guess is, there is not an innocent party involved...other than the girls who's pictures were posted...

I rarely read stickman though sometimes bumped into some good articles there. The notstickman thing was a yawner to me, but due to the latest events I was curious and read the banana article and see Galt has stick by the balls. Galt (not his real name) has recently spoken to clear the air.

Hi, this the John Galt. In reality "Stickman silences Stickman". I started my site because Stickman was getting out of control and he tried to bash a friend's company in his column. He did this unfairly. I started 10 weeks ago with gentle pressure against him and he scoffed at me continuously throughout that entire time. Stickman feels pretty invincible. He's become cocky over the years. He practically gloats over his ability to scare people into HIV Test kits and bar girls investigations. SOME of his advertisers are clearly questionable (unregulated illegal businesses give rise to greatest profits to those businesses and therefore the greatest ad revenues). Stick is clearly not interested in the best information for his readership. I have not done anything illegal. I have only posted reflective information from Stickman's own site (and those pictures which are already on the web). Perhaps Stickman should be held accountable for his own crass remarks about his workplace and co-workers. Stickman has done quite a bit to upset other people. These other people are lining up to "put the nails in Stick's coffin" so to speak. I'm only the funneling point for the information and please be assured I make best efforts to determine if the information seems reasonable and correct before I write about it. Dear Mr Stick. If you want to keep your web site off-line - I'll not raise the issues any further. However, if you continue to think you are above the law...

It gets a bit nasty so best to end it there.

I just had a look at the John Galt site.

I found it very disturbing.

Of course one can criticise Stickman.

Of course Stick's column has errors in it. There is no major newspaper in the world that doesn't have errors in it. How about the Bangkok Post article a while ago about the famous British comedian 'Spike Mulligan'?

Of course Stick's column is opinionated, and sometimes I might disagree with his opinions. But he never claims that his column contains anything other than his personal opinions.

Of course he promotes services on his site. You would be very naive to think that major magazines don't offer editorial coverage if a company takes out a large advert.

But I should point out that a while ago I asked Stick to make a mention of a project I have been involved with, and the fact that I was looking for investors. I offered to take out an advert. Stick said that an ad wasn't necessary, and that he would be happy to mention it free. He did so, and I gained an investor and good friend as a result.

Well... let's say for whatever reason that any combination of these factors irritates you to the point where you really can't stand the column any more.

Any normal person would just not read it any more.

Perhaps is one had a little free time, one might write a forum posting like this one, in which you let other people share your frustration.

But does any sane person actually take it so far as to register a website, design it, publish it, and dedicate it largely to a vendetta against Stickman?

I would say that was pretty obsessive and irrational behaviour.

Where it becomes extremely sinister is when John Galt starts posting pictures of Stickman's pupils on his website, superimposed with pictures of bananas, and surrounded by innuendo.

Then he stops being some obsessive crank and is clearly vindictive and dangerous.

He has now become a sort of 'Internet stalker'.

I think in this environment, Stick has been quite correct to take down his site.

I hope that this one maniac doesn't shut down Stickman for good.

That clearly is John Galt's agenda.

His agenda is clearly not just to offer a counter-opinion, to criticise or even lampoon Stickman.

His agenda is now clearly to shut down Stickman, and to cause him personal trouble.

I think it's important that we all understand this.

And it makes me angry.

I want to have the choice to read Stickman or not. I want to have the freedom to get irritated by him when I disagree with him. I want to be able to meet up with friends and bicker about Stickman's latest column. I want it to be part of my Sunday routine.

I do not want some deranged and spiteful indvidual to deny me that.

Sadly, it is often rantings of an obsessive minority that ruin the pleasures for the majority.

"His agenda is now clearly to shut down Stickman, and to cause him personal trouble."

Pretty obvious to everybody I think.

"I think it's important that we all understand this."

I think we all understand it.

"And it makes me angry."

You should write a strong letter to the Bangkok Post.

Archived