Stickman gone?

You havn't got schitzho on us have you?You and Mr galt might well be the same person?

Sorry mate,I felt the question needed to be asked.

Best Regards,R

Obviously, nothing is impossible as there have been some odd publicity stunts over the years. If the website was just criticizing Stick's column, it would be more plausible, but the website goes much further. It is personal. By personal, it is not just calling people names. Galt is throwing mud and mud sticks.

If Galt and Stick were one in the same, why would Stick take the website down? Now, would be the best time to have the website up with a weekly column as many people would be wondering

what Stick would say in response to Galt. Instead the website is down. No material and no website means no advertisers which would be contradictory for a publicity stunt.

Galt is obviously trying to discourage future advertisers by throwing accusations around.

To me, it makes no sense for Galt and Stickman to be the same person.

I haven't even get onto the subject of where would Stick find the time to set up an alternative website with new material and photos each week. He struggles enough as it is with e-mails, the column, readers submissions, and the rest of the site.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the attack on Stick really personal? I somehow doubt it.

I think people are reading too much into this.

It seems much more likely that the motive is far simpler, purely financial. Given the content of Sticks site there can only be one group of people who can hope to gain from his demise, namely the owners of those bars which he never endorses and/or negatively comments on. Nothing else really fits.

Although "Galt" himself seems to be a real person and seems to run some kind of non-bar business, he is likely to be a front for a group of disaffected owners. He might have financial interests in bars even though not concerned with day-to-day running, or he might simply have some kind of arrangement with an owner or group of owners to get rid of Sticks site in return for some kind of payment (or payment in kind).

A business which exists by paying money to the Police is certainly not above doing anything in this way.

One aspect which I am still mystified by is that Galt appears to be American. There is not a great American prescence in the bar-owning community as far as I am aware.

It is even possible that Galt is acting as a pure mercenary for a group of Thai owners.

If all this is correct, then it would be relatively easy for Stick to get back up, maybe dropping some principles and moderating his comments about venues. Although this would be a shame, as a kind of censorship, it might at least be a means of continuing. I miss his site!

What prompted my question in the first place was that I felt(but I do not know)Sticks site probably got a lot more hits when there regular first hand info reports on the bars and nightlife.

His weekly ramblings(although still entertaining) seem to be more geared now towards the expate rather than your average knobhound!

"can't we all get along"

OC

555! I very nearly posted the same quote on another message board about this topic a minute ago.

I'll add some comments, not directed at you.

I don't understand the motivation behind these vendettas, but this one surely looks personal. But if it's truly about Stick making some negative comment about some bar, then it's completely unwarranted. In fact, it's unwarranted in any type of circumstance.

Guess what? I think Casanova sucks!

Out me for that. ;)

Stick's been on this board forever. His commentary on his website is harmless (whether you agree with him or not) and he has the tenacity to write a column each and every week that many of you seem to follow.

I'm not sure what we can do, but I think he deserves some support from this community.

I honestly can't find any fault with the guy. When he says that Monet pads the bills (for example), I just remember to mind my check bin. It doesn't stop me from going to that bar, never mind going after the writer for the suggestion. We're all supposed to be adults here.

OK, I'm babbling now, so I'll stop.

Just be realistic and stop talking about the guy as if he's some wealthy egomaniac like Donald Trump. He's just another guy on this message board who happens to have a website, which might make a bit of dosh to help him along.

John Galt, or Keith Summers, or whatever your name is, leave the guy alone.

Archived