I got busted...

Old Hippie

Varies by state. In California, the pedestrian has the right of way. But I remember that in Colorado, it was the reverse. My grandmother came to visit us when we lived there right after I got back from VN. The first day she was hit by a car because she couldn't get out of its way fast enough! (She was 68.) I remember helping her as she lay on the ground, waiting for the ambulance to arrive. She kept saying over and over, "Why didn't he stop? Why did he stop?" The effing Colorado SOB could easily have driven around her, but instead ran her down. The cops said it was HER fault and the perp's insurance wouldn't pay one penny for her hospital bills. Shortly after that I read in the Denver papers about an 85 year old woman who was killed in a crosswalk by a driver. Once again, she should have moved faster! :banghead:

I also had to grab a U of California Bezerkley prof in downtown Milwaukee and yank him out of the way of a car. He looked shocked and said, "You mean they can run people over here?" Yep. Can do.

maybe Coloradoians thing they are still in the wild west

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Varies by state. In California, the pedestrian has the right of way. But I remember that in Colorado, it was the reverse. My grandmother came to visit us when we lived there right after I got back from VN. The first day she was hit by a car because she couldn't get out of its way fast enough! (She was 68.) I remember helping her as she lay on the ground, waiting for the ambulance to arrive. She kept saying over and over, "Why didn't he stop? Why did he stop?" The effing Colorado SOB could easily have driven around her, but instead ran her down. The cops said it was HER fault and the perp's insurance wouldn't pay one penny for her hospital bills. Shortly after that I read in the Denver papers about an 85 year old woman who was killed in a crosswalk by a driver. Once again, she should have moved faster! :banghead:

I also had to grab a U of California Bezerkley prof in downtown Milwaukee and yank him out of the way of a car. He looked shocked and said, "You mean they can run people over here?" Yep. Can do.

From the Colorado Drivers Handbook,

PEDESTRIANS: When driving, you should yield the right-of-way to pedestrians under all conditions. Be particularly watchful for children, elderly and blind persons. Most blind persons are easily recognized by the white cane they

carry and/or by their guide dog.

Pedestrians have the right-of-way at all intersections and crosswalks. Drivers must come to a complete stop and let the person pass safely.

Archived