I got busted...

Old Hippie

This was a pussy cop riding a bicycle on patrol...had a real attitude...and yes, I crossed the street against a light, no traffic, why wait...? this is chicken shit...oh, and yes, it can be as high as $300 with the court costs...and or I can be "ORDERED" to do community service...this is going to be a fight!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try to look for the loophole...

if a ticket was issued, is all (100%) of the info correct on it?

maybe the cop won't show up in court, no "complaining witness" and they may throw out the case.

check the law, don't take the cop's word for what he "thinks" the law is.

take pictures of the scene, at the same time/day, to show no traffic.

any police friends to help you out?

hire a lawyer, but be prepared to lose and still have to pay the lawyer.

be prepared to request a jury trial.

Bottom line, you really have little chance, why? if the cop doesn't show, the judge may grant a continuance, I have seen it happen, meaning you are losing $$$ with the transportation cost to get there, parking? lost time from work?

Tough to win! :banghead:

So true! Here, usually if you go to court, you still get found guilty, an have to pay, but *USUALLY* the judge lowers tghe fine considerably...especially if you cloud the issue with police mis-behavior.

Example, I got a moving violation, supposedly didn't stop compleately at a stop sign, cop waiting, nailed 4 cars...acted like as asshole about it all...Fine+ court cost+ driving school etcaded up to almost $350usd. And an admission of guilt...

Went to court, argued, made a complaint against the cop (found out he has a record of being an asshole, for which he has been diciplined, and he got diciplined again for my complaint) Agrued my case, got to say what I thought of the cop, and how he acted...made him admit he had problems and had been diciplined, made fun of him, and of course lost...BUT I paid $100 so all in all worth it.

Most of these chicken shit tickets are just revenue inhancement, priced just enough to get you to just pay...most of the time, if everyone fought them, they would not be profitable, so they'd raise the fines, which would then get more people to fight them...the answer is, make these chicken shit assholes earn the money. Figure in my case, 1 cop one judge, one stenographer, all the opaper processing, + the original time the cop took to write the ticket, most likely added up to more than $100 USD...

But what about your time off work? :soccer:

I am given the opportunity to make the time up. Additionally, as I work nights, I have the mornings free, and can request a specific time for court (window of about 3 hours) So no real hassle...and it is fun to go and give the cop shit to his face...I actually enjoy it, except for the part where I have to pay...The problem is, NOT ENOUGH people fight this shit...if they did, then it might stop or get cut down...

Huge unbalance in that the judge favors the police. We need impartial judges!

Example, go to court and the cop doesn't show. The judge should dismiss the charge(s) as there is no complaining witness (the cop). Instead, he give the DA a recess so they can call the cop into the courthouse, WTF :banghead:

Another, true story, the judge is sleeping! Yes, fast asleep. The DA has to wake him up and explain what had been going on!

In many areas (all?) these lower court judges are appointed, not elected, so it is a political handout. Many of the judges are idiots and do not even know the law or what their job really is.

So first, we need a level playing field, then the people will have a chance.

If everyone went to court, they would do mass sentencing, as I have seen and been part of.

Judge says, "...how many here for speeding tickets?"..."...OK, you all pay $100...go pay now and you are free to go...".

50 people get up, pay and leave...mass sentencing.

Could they have stayed, yes, to a pissed off judge who wanted to go home early. Think it would have made a difference, yes, to further piss of the judge! :cussing:

Shit I had no ideas you could really get fined for jay walking!!!

I almost never bother waiting for lights in the UK - it seems rude to halt the traffic when you can walk through a gap and it is normally faster. I actually thought in some US states pedestrians always had right of way over cars?? Ie if you walk out in front of a car doing 55 and they hit you its automatically their fault?

Archived