Bad English - A Vent!

MooNoi

BTW, forgot to add, part of the problem is, the Oakland city school district considers "Ebonics" a language, and actually teaches some classes in it, treats it as a second language...I kid you not...it is/was a political issue with the teacher's union, as the teachers who "speak Ebonics" (Black street lingo/slangfor those who don't know) get paid extra for being "Bi-Lingual."

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As someone with an english degree, I just want to ask...

Can you PLEASE learn the difference between YOUR and YOU'RE?

Can you PLEASE learn the differnce between THERE, THEIR and THEY'RE?

And also... just to top it off... learn when to put an apostrophe in a word and when not to.

(This post is not to people on here who speak English as their second language).

But for the Brits, Aussies, Yanks, Canadians, Kiwis etc... some of the spelling and punctuation here is disgraceful! Like kindergarden spelling!

It shits me.

It makes a mockery of our so-called developed world education systems.

Right. I feel better now. Do carry on.

Okay, here's my "Bad English" vent: don't speak pidgin English to Thais! You're only reinforcing their bad grammar. I can't tell you how grating it is when I hear some farang say to a Thai "where you stay now? I go Sukhumvit"... etc. And I hear it every single day here.

Relatedly, I would love to get my hands on the moron who taught the Thais the phrase "same same". This is NOT the result of a transference of Thai grammar onto the way they speak English...there is NO Thai construction for "same" which involves reduplication like this. Which means they learned it from a foreigner.

Some goddamn backpacker fresh off the plane from Indonesia (where they do in fact say "sama sama" meaning "same") probably worked it into his pidgin English conversations with Thais, and it stuck. Sheesh.

preahko

Okay, here's my "Bad English" vent: don't speak pidgin English to Thais! You're only reinforcing their bad grammar. I can't tell you how grating it is when I hear some farang say to a Thai "where you stay now? I go Sukhumvit"... etc. And I hear it every single day here.

preahko

How about farang who speak pidgin English to each other? Ever run into them? That is totally bizarre.

To be honest I speak pidgeon English to foreigners. Can't help it! Natural immitation - like when I found myself speaking with a really bad attempt at a Scottish accent when with a bunch of Scots and them looking like they were unsure whether I was taking the piss.

That said a lot of non English speakers find me quite hard to understand and so at least if I imiitate their pidgeon then I know that they will understand and it also forces me to avoid overlong sentences.

I have an Indian girlfriend though and it has meant that I have ended up picking up her bad grammer rather than her English improving!

I think the full and correct town name is "Hove Actuuuallly" :) I'm far to young to live there yet!

Not sure what my accent is - I know a lot of English people say that I speak pretty accentless English. I just mumble, don;t open my mouth enough and speak to fast.

I do use the Sussex Would of instead of would have though.

Archived