what is your thailand pet peeve?

theshaw66

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There was a family of four on a motorcycle' date=' with the father driving and his daughter of maybe 6-7 on his shoulders.

I hope that I never see that again.[/quote']

haha...then stay out of cambodia!

preahko

I saw the like 2 days ago, 2 kids in front of the 'adult' and 2 behind...5 on a bike...the kids must have been around 6 years old...they were 'driving' along Viparadee road, Bangkok, which is 5 lanes wide at that point..it was approaching rush hour, so insanely busy....i think the female adult 'driver' was one of the kids mother...no helmets were worn, the kids were hanging on....freakin crazy!

This thing about dark-skinned Thais getting ignored in restaurants and shops because they are dark is unacceptable.

I`ll ditto that.

But it kinda depends on the individual, my missus is from isan, used to have a nice tan, but after living abroad for a decade or so, she is as pale as I am.

It doesn`t take long, though, for her to regain her tan when in Thailand (and these days she doesn`t mind having a tan) and God have mercy on any shop keeper who attempts to ignore her due to her having a tan.

She doesn`t take no shit and let them know in not so many words in case it happens to her (it has)

Being married to at thai, you are once in a while confronted with prejudice: You must have found her in a bar etc...

Well, thais are no different, on a visit to Bang Saphan in Prachuap, the missus went to a regular massage place to have her neck rubbed, what do I know, I never get massages...

Well, anyway the female thai owner suggested she started working at her place to massage farangs and supply them "happy endings" as she learnt the missus was from Isan.

There was no "happy ending" to that conversation!

hn

Some years ago my Mrs came to see me at work one afternoon and we went to lunch together. She was well dressed, as a civil servant would be. But one woman in the restaurant started chatting her up. My wife turned to me and said, "She thinks I work in a massage parlour."

Huh? Well, she was young, with a Farang and too well dressed to be a BG. MP girls apparently dress better than BGs, so that must be what she was.

My Mrs just shrugged it off. :dunno:

p.s. Oh, yeah ... she is from the North and the MPs like to hire white northern girls. Talk about stereotyping.

There was a family of four on a motorcycle' date=' with the father driving and his daughter of maybe 6-7 on his shoulders.

I hope that I never see that again.[/quote']

haha...then stay out of cambodia!

preahko

I saw the like 2 days ago, 2 kids in front of the 'adult' and 2 behind...5 on a bike...the kids must have been around 6 years old...they were 'driving' along Viparadee road, Bangkok, which is 5 lanes wide at that point..it was approaching rush hour, so insanely busy....i think the female adult 'driver' was one of the kids mother...no helmets were worn, the kids were hanging on....freakin crazy!

not just the poor ppl either, every see a benz with small kids ( even infants) no car sets, or even using seat belts?

My pet peeves have mostly been covered, but just for the record:

1) The incessant blaring God damn noise. Go to Central when they have about three promotions going on each trying to be louder than the other. Totally fucking ridiculous.

2) Traffic, traffic, traffic. I swear Thais must really enjoy sitting in traffic all day. If not you would think they would try to actually do something about it.

3) The sidewalks / food carts / slow fuckers taking up all the room scenario. Already covered in great detail.

4) As other posters pointed out, the constant focus on money. My God, in our company if one employee gets a slight raise because of great performance within 15 minutes the entire staff knows about it, demands the same raise or threatens to quit. Why can't these muppets keep their fucking mouths shut?

5) More on the focus of money - Our company had a New Year's party for all the staff last year and the big boss (farang) paid the bill at the end of the gathering. Before we left everybody from the company drivers to the office maid knew how much the bill cost beause our stupid office manager thought it was important to inform everybody. Just drives me fucking nuts how they stick their noses in stuff where it doesn't belong.

6) The constant LYING. I swear these people would rather tell a lie even when the truth would serve them better. Don't give me that shit about "saving face" or whatever. I think the vast majority of Thais are simply incapable of telling the truth when there is even the slightest amount of "controversy" that could evolve.

Whew... I feel much better now that all that is off my chest. :)

Archived