what is your thailand pet peeve?

theshaw66

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear Thai, when you build a road, you need to add drains/gutters for the water to run off. And learn to camber the bloody things so the water goes down *to* the drains and does not sit as a flat plane of water. Its not bloody rocket science.

it is contractors "science" make it to be redone many times.

Sidewalk vendors.

Packing in so many vendors on the sidewalks looks ugly. Bangkok is not a very ergonomic city, and I am not among those who find beauty in the chaos. Feng Shui? I wish.

So many vendors squeezed into a finite area makes it very difficult to simply walk down a sidewalk. Much of the time, you have to actually walk in the street. It can be impossible to walk on the sidewalk.

Funneling pedestrians into a slow moving, dense line snaking past so many vendors creates a hazardous situation where pockets can be readily picked.

And then, too frequently, sidewalk vendors are not paying rent to legitimate owners of the space. Too often, paying sidewalk rent subsidizes mafias.

What amazes me, also, is the fact that sidewalk vendors believe that they have the right to conduct business on their square meter of pavement. They believe that squatters rights entitle them to ignore city authorities. They reject the right of the Bangkok metropolitan authorities to require them to move to legitimate merchant retail spaces.

I empathize with the poor of this country. Truly. But sidewalk vendors need to be regulated, they need to be located in areas set aside for commerce, and sidewalks need to be reserved for the free passage of pedestrians, who should be able to walk freely, and without fear.

Archived