what is your thailand pet peeve?

theshaw66

Do many expats really catch a taxi to and from work each day?

Depends where I am at thay day, a lot of the time I am out of Bangkok so I drive most of the time.

If I have business in Bangkok and it is convinent to BTS or Metro I may use it, but more often than not I use the Car. Fortunatley I don't have business in Sathorn / Lower Suk during working hours.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like a trave forum thread. In general I think if you're retired or work in Bangkok, tipping 40 baht on a 60 baht fare is outrages. I always round it off to the high side of the fare.

In my daily activies I often use motorcycles, taxi's, BTS, MRT, river taxi's, and some tmes the Green Suk 71 bus. Have even taken the klong boat taxi's from the Pantip area to Phra Khanong...a streight shot, and no traffic. Then motorcycle home.

-OT

This taxi meter thing and its not directed at you 66, amazes me. I used to be a hard "meter only" taxi user, the meter rarely ever got to more than 100 bt. The meter would read 60bt and i would give the taxi driver 100bt and say keep the change anyway.

So now I just say "go Nana 100bt Ok" in thai, 90% of the time the driver says OK and off we go. The driver has a fixed price, the quicker he gets you to your destination the better for him. I was going to give him a 100bt no matter what so what

difference does it make to me.

It's good for him cos he gets the 100bt, its good for me, cos he gets me to where I want to go as quick as possible, everyone's happy.

We are only taking about the difference of $1 maybe $2AUD here at the most, can you guys really be that tight.

Its only ONE DOLLAR.

Once again not aimed at you 66.

well first off i would guess it would depend on the distance your going in the cab, if you got that extra dollar to give then give away my friend.Some people dont....and like i was saying before it's not so much about the dollar to me as it is someone on the take and you know they are...i've had to take the taxi to the airport many times and i can say most of the time the cabbie get's me there on morals,but then i've had a couple fuckin drive all around the airport like they cant find arrivals..it's that kind of unscrupulous shit i dont like..i realize it's a third world country and people need to make that money,but i think most westerners are very generous and if a cabbie is honest and does his or her job well then they will be rewarded like anything you do.and i dont have any problem with tipping good if the service is good and that's for anything..(pussy included)but i cant speak for everybody just me....

Archived