Ministry to teach politeness to tourists

rickfarang

I this is long overdue, but frankly, there are a lot of people who wouldn't even look at the booklet if it were given to them, nor heed the contents if they happened to know it.

-------------------

From the Bangkok Post website, Monday December 04, 2006 08:39

http://www.bangkokpost.net/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=114721

---------------------------

Ministry to teach politeness to tourists

(TNA) - Thailand's Ministry of Culture will distribute a handbook on Thai manners and 10 'Do's and Don'ts' in Thailand to foreign tourists to enable the visitors to understand and avoid doing things considered taboo in the kingdom, according to Ministrer of Culture Khunying Khaisri Sri-arun.

Khunying Khaisri said the handbook is designed to create more understanding among foreign tourists regarding Thai etiquette and actions that may not appropriate among the Thai public.

The Fine Arts Department and the Culture Monitoring Centre frequently receives complaints of inappropriate behaviour by foreigners such as placing Buddha image heads at inproper places.

"Some foreigners use the Buddha images as hatracks, some put them at the foot of their beds and some use them as a decoration in the product sales display cases," she said.

Many foreign tourists were found dressing inappropriately when visiting temples in Thailand, she added.

The minister said the handbook would be issued in eight languages including English, Chinese, Japanese and Arabic, and would be given to foreign embassies in Thailand for distribution.

The manual would also available at hotels, Suvarnabhumi Airport and on board Thai Airways International aircraft.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an idea, why don't they...go fuck themselves.

I am so sick and tired of people trying to force other people to show "respect" to their "religeon"

Fuck respect, and fuck religeon.

Sure, I have faith and even a few stupid ceremonies and superstitous values. I see no reason to inflict my nonsense on anybody else, however, and I do not plan to allow somebody else's nonsense to be inflicted on me. I'll use a Goddamn Buddist image to wipe my ass with if I feel like it, don't like it: go fuck yourself.

Should you feel the need to use a Jesus action figure as a dildo, or a picture of my family as a snotrag...go to it. If I don't like it, I'll be happy to go fuck myself.

What this is, is just another attempt to get people to conform. Fuck it...fuck it. Fuck it up the ass.

Hi,

I'm with Dave on this one. The Thais are *very* hypocritical when it comes to this as they don't give a fuck about respecting other peoples believes, yet everyone should respect all of theirs (while at the same time many Thais disrespect them as well).

And on top of that I think the Thais could do with a leaflet as well, on common courtesy (i.e. no cutting in line, letting people out of the skytrain before getting on, littering, etc. etc.)

Sanuk!

What I would like to see is cab drivers carrying a booklet that makes it easy for a tourist to tell the cabbie where they want to go. For example, a picture showing the Emerald Buddha and the name and address in English and Thai.

But then, a 350 baht taxi ride will be reduced to 100 baht. Good for customer but not Thai taxi man.

For some reason, earier today, I had realized that it had been while since I had seen a sign of itsmedave. Now I sit here with tears streaming down my face from laughter.

Your points are well taken, as are those of KS. Keep in mind that what is impolite in Europe may be perfectly normal here in S.E. Asia.

How typically Thai Nationalistic thinking, rather than edducate themselves, lets educate the farang.

Rule 1 - "Tuk Tuks are nce people, use them to go gem shopping"

Rule 2 - "Taxi's without meters can be truested"

Rule 3 - "It is legal to pay your fine directly to the police man"

etc etc etc

I can't remember where but there was a country that did start edducating it's citizens about being nice to tourists.

I know when Tourism was first being promotoed hard in Australia the public was made aware of the benifits it would bring

DOG

A good example of hypocrisy...have you seen the nazi symbols openly worn by many thais? Swastika t-shirts, necklaces and tattoos? Seems to be a lot around...i've seen thais wearing t-shirts with 'fuck you' in english....and yes of course there's the total idiocy of the thais own lack of politeness to many farang, especially the young males....and of course each other...i laugh when i'm told how polite thai society has so many rules, but they are incapable of thinking about others and their feelings...example again, if a thai sees someone get hurt, they laugh at it...any fall, knock, accident, seems to be comedy heaven for them....

Maybe a booklet for the thai population would be a step forward as well, as well as some education on history and what english words mean...

10 'Do's and Don'ts'

Dos and Don'ts

â?¢ The Monarchy : Thai people have a deep, traditional reverence for the Royal Family, and a visitor should be careful to show respect for the King, the Queen and the Royal Children.

â?¢ Religion : Visitors should dress neatly in all religious shrines. They should never go topless, or in shorts, hot pants or other unsuitable attireIt is acceptable to wear shoes when walking around the compound of a Buddhist temple, but not inside the chapel where the principal Buddha image is kept.

â?¢ Each Buddha image, large or small, ruined or not, is regarded as a sacred object. Never climb onto one to take a photograph or do anything which might indicate a lack of respect.

â?¢ Buddhist monks are forbidden to touch or be touched by a woman, or to accept anything from the hand of one. If a woman has to give anything to a monk, she first hands it to a man, who then presents it.

â?¢ Social Norms : Thais don't normally shake hands when they greet one another, but instead press the palms together in a prayer-like gesture called ' Wai '. Generally a younger person wais an elder, who returns it.

â?¢ Thais regard the head as the highest part of the body, literally and figuratively. Therefore, avoid touching people on the head and try not to point your feet at people or an object. It is considered very rude.

â?¢ Shoes should be removed when entering a private Thai home.

â?¢ Public displays of affection between men and women are frowned upon.

TAT Stockholm

Just 8 on the list so they must have invented 2 more... :cool:

The police are allowed to make up the other two on the spot! :D

p.s. So what's the big deal about some Thais making a handout on acceptable behaviour? The Hawaiians did it decades ago for the Japanese tourists -- e.g. don't piss in the street, don't take off your clothes on buses, don't shove women out of your way. Folks are getting their knickers in a bind over nothing. Maybe they should try living in Saudi Arabia for a while.

Archived