how often do thai's eat western food?

theshaw66

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Thai ladies that I have known and loved all eschewed farang food, and seriously preferred Thai food.

Pretty much sums up my experiences. Thai's I spend time with don't want any part of western food. They complain it is all bland and greasy and compared to what they are used to they are right. They also don't like using their hands to eat food or have to chop up food with a knife on their plate; kind of barbaric and not enjoyable compared to their spoon friendly dishes. I can't recall ever a request to go eat foreign food even though I'm paying and they can go anywhere they want.

That said, there sure are a lot of Thai people in KFC, Burger King, Pizza Hut, and MacDonald's.

Seeing fast food places I think gives a false impression that thai's love farang food. These restaurants are in very visible places and for every one of these you see, there are 99 thai eateries hidden away on the streets, food courts, and such you don't. Quite often Thai's are in these visible places to be trendy and just have a coke or some french fries. Though KFC is liked by a fair number of Thai's. Interesting how both KFC and McDonalds have unique dishes that are more like thai food. I was floored to see KFC now has a sort of "yam" w/ fried chicken (Isaan spicy salad dish). Pizza company has a "tom yum goong" topping of all things and it is all I ever see Thai's order.

They also don't like using their hands to eat food or have to chop up food with a knife on their plate; kind of barbaric and not enjoyable compared to their spoon friendly dishes.

"They don`t like to use their hands to eat food? Barbaric?"

Did you ever visit the Isan? All they ever use when eating is their hands :)

Cheers

hn

Guest lazyphil

Shepherds pie with baked beans is a very spoon friendly meal that my mrs has embraced. Cant beat shpherds pie and baked beans on a cold foggy winters night!

Did you ever visit the Isan? All they ever use when eating is their hands :)

LOL, you are right I somehow forgot about sticky rice, duh. I've been in Bangkok too long where it is constantly the other extreme such as going into KFC and everyone is busy sawing at their fried chicken with a spoon and fork. That's almost futile for me to do so I'll just pick it up.

Archived