Driving license / IDP etc.

torrenova

I don't have a Thai license or an International Driving Permit (IDP) but want a Thai license. I have emailed the RAC and AA in the UK but to no avail. Surely there is some way to first get the IDP without having to go back to the UK.

Anyone have any answers in this position ?

Cheers

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Torrenova

Got one last year for Thailand. (Whilst in the UK)

You can apply by post to the AA (www.theaa.com) by downloading the online app form. No need to send your license you can pay GBP 4.00 so they can do a DVLA search.

The IDP is returned by post (you would need to check if overseas is permitted - dont see why not if you cover postage) if not can you do via an address in the UK.

For Thailand you need the IDP 1949.

Chris

To the OP, why do you need an IDP to get a Thai license? Do you have a valid UK license? Even if you donâ??t, you can still get Thai license, you just have to take a written and practical test.

IDP issued by AAA in US do not have photo and explicitly say they are only valid with a valid state driverâ??s license so not much good for ID. They are merely translations, not even in Thai. As ND says, there is very little need to have an IDP in Thailand. I have rented cars and been stopped by police and only showed them US state driver's license. I'm sure someone is going to say something about insurance here, they could be right, but I have seen no proof and my insurance with rentals only required a valid license, not necessarily Thai.

I also rented cars in Malaysia with only US driver's license

TH

Assume (maybe wrongly) the written test is in Thai and the practical test intructions in spoken thai.

I was told by thai insurance company no thai license no insurance on my car (not hire car).

That was why I got an IDP, Torrenova's problem is he is in thailand and needs an IDP from UK, thence my first reply. :)

If one can be got with a UK license no problem but I was told I would have to take the test without an IDP.

OK - The test is in many languages, tehy have tapes you watch. The driving test is in Thai so watch what others do, I failed first circuit around the go kart tracjk they test you on because I thought they wanted me to stop at the line, in fact they wanted me to stop 6 inches from the curb!

There are three types of test, a mulitiple chopice, in ERnglish or your language, a series of technical tests for you reaction times, periferal vision and eye site and a driving test.

You DONT need a IDP, and your own licnece will get you a thai one with out many tests IF it is valid,

Both of mine had expired so I took all the tests.

If you are here and have a valid DL then thats all you need, only budget refuse to give a car on loan to me without a IDP when I didn;t have a thai licence, all others give car rentals on regular licences.

DOG

If one can be got with a UK license no problem but I was told I would have to take the test without an IDP.

That's just incorrect information.

If you have a Non-Imm visa and your native country's license is in English (or Thai but then you wouldn't need a Thai DL, would you? LOL) and unexpired, then you only need to take the vision and reaction tests. No written tests, no driving tests. Of course, the referred to practical tests are given in spoken Thai, but c'mon, if you are getting a DL here, then you should be able to handle that or should rethink getting a DL.

Any other language on your home country's DL, then you need the IDL. The IDL is simply a certified translation of your DL into several languages. It does not stand on its own. It MUST be used in conjunction with the home country's valid DL.

And I must say that in all the times I have been there, the DL bureau in Mochit has been very kind and user friendly, with some staff who even can speak some English. But totally unbribe-able -- nobody would take the B1K offered by Mrs Tiger to waive the motocy driving test. We were late and had to come back tomorrow, and were trying to avoid that...

Cheers,

SD

PS -- Even if you do have to take all the tests (as I did for my motocy license), don't sweat it. The test is in English if you want it to be (tho' you must ID roadsigns in Thai). The prep materials are in English. They give you time to study. And in reality, the traffic laws and general look of the signage is the same here as it is in most of the world. And if you have been driving for years already, the road test is a piece of cake.

Archived