Driving license / IDP etc.

torrenova

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No idea there mate. Maybe just give it a go and see if they will give you one. The worst they can do is say no...

On a positive note, even tho' by law farangs are only supposed to get a one year license (to coincide with their visa validity), many have gotten the five year model after their first renewal. I'm renewing mine next week and we'll see what I get.

Cheers,

SD

Like Crisg says the web site www.theaa.com has the download forms and it works for anywhere in world if you have a UK lic.

I always mail it from Thailand with enclosed self addressed env and get a new IDP back within about 3 weeks. Need an enclosed UK bank cheque though to pay for it along with photo and copy of UK lic. Last one cost me 16.50UKL all inc. and getting dearer each yr.

I need one IDP but that is just to avoid having to take the Thai test. Bloody stupid I know as the UK post office will issue one if you have the UK license for a nominal charge.

Just another thing which may yet force me to go back to the UK and get my new business visa.

If you have a valid UK license you won't have to take the test for the Thai license. If you don't have a valid UK license you can't get the IDP.

Tell us again why you are getting the IDP? :dunno:

Having to make a trip to home country to get get a valid drivers license is not unheard of. :beer:

TH

I have a UK license but no IDP. My non imm visa is up so I can't get an IDP (heard you can) in Bangkok or get a Thai license.

I want to buy a new truck but need a Thai license for the insurance and I need an IDP for that. I know I can get an IDP sent out but without the non imm it is useless anyway. Sort of chicken and egg situation.

Just the thought of wasting Bt100k on a trip to the UK seems silly.

I think it has been made very plain you do not need the IDP to get a Thai license without taking the test (other than color blindness and reaction). You only need a valid driver's license in English (believe UK one qualifies).

It appears your issue is the lack of a Non-Imm not the IDP. I would go ahead and try, the worst they can do is say no until you get the new the Non-Imm.

TH

• 2 weeks later...
what about using only the international drivers license for ID ,

just to have an ID and not your passport ?

OC

OC,

The IDP will not be accepted by the Thai cops as ID. You will need your passport, or/and your national/state drivers license. They willhowever accepta Thai driver'slicense. The best way to go is to get a Thai driver's license. Isn't hard to do, but you do need some sort of longer term visa, not some sort of tourist visa. Easy to get the license if you have a marriage visa, business visa, work visa, etc.

IDP or international driver's license isn't worth squat really, and needs to be backed up by your legal driver's license from where ever you are from, AND backed up by your visa and passport as well. Get a Thai license.

Cent

Archived