Sending Smokes

Kauai Jim

ANything I have ever sent to LOS has been taxed...OUT THE ASS! Smokes as far as I know are cheap in LOS, and the retail price is not much higher than the Duty free price...I think name brand cigareets such as Marlboro run what 400-450 a carton? compared to 1700-1800 a carton in the USA, maybe more in Europe? Glad I don't smoke.

I know in North America, there are serious tax questions. I have no idea if Thailand taxes cigarettes. Is there a duty tax also?

The brands are different in LOS. A Marlboro is not a Marlboro in Thailand. The pack may look the same. The tobacco ain't. The main difference is that USA cigarettes have USA tobacco. The locally manufactured Marlboro has tobacco from Africa - or who know where.

I always wondered why kids are selling cigarettes on street for a higher price than 7-11. The ones on street are USA Marlboro. At least the package states so.

Try some of the Native American websites. They sell without US taxes - or they did awhile ago. They do mail order. I'm not up to speed on this issue.

Of course, you could dump the habit. And maybe live one day longer for one more gal - but that is off the topic.

Just bring one extra suitcase full of the smokes. What's the worse that could happen?

Sending the cigs via Fed-Ex would hardly be avoiding customs at the airport. Where do you think the Fed-Ex pland lands? They will open the package and either keep them or charge you out the you know what to pick them up.

Put a carton or two in your suitcase, chances are slim it will get checked. You are allowed to bring in a couple a cartons anyway (I think).

TH

Archived