Which Passport to Use?

Guy Himmaparn

Leave US on US passport (not really as there is no outbound immigration in US and no exit stamp), enter Thailand on Thai passport. Reverse on return.

Only problem you should see is on air line check in leaving Bangkok when you give the Thai passport they will look for the US visa, show US passport you have in your pocket.

Have a colleague that has been doing this each yearly home leave with his wife and 2 kids for over 10 years. He says Thai immigration as never questioned entering or leaving, only airline

TH

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:yeahthat: That's how my daughters have been doing it for years also. No dramas at all, even when they were travelling as unaccompanied minors.

But I believe that we checked in with their US passports and merely used the Thai passport to exit the country (could be wrong tho', can't really remember).

Cheers,

SD

But I believe that we checked in with their US passports and merely used the Thai passport to exit the country (could be wrong tho', can't really remember).

Well, that would work as no visa is necessary to enter from the US, but would the lack of a Thai exit stamp in her US passport be a concern for US immigration? Both passports are new so I'd like to do it right the first time as this is a yearly ritual for us.

• 2 weeks later...

She MUST enter on her Thai passport, was told this a while back as it is a rule Thais must enter and leave on their thai passport,

DOG

There may well be such a rule, but it certainly isn't enforced in practice. And how would the immigration know a person is a Thai citizen if they enter with a foreign passport.

In December my 2 daughters entered Thailand with their Australian passports. There we made Thai passports for them and last week they departed using their Thai passports. No questions asked.

It does get a bit complicated to travel like that. On the way back I was juggling with 7 passports for the 4 of us. In Singapore we totally confused the immigration staff on exit, because we entered with Thai passports and tried to depart with Australian ones. They searched and searched, called the supervisor for advice, until it dawned on me what they were after and showed them entry stamps in Thai passports. A big smile of relief and they stamped us out.

Archived