Bangkok Post vs The Nation

Dali

During my visits I usually just grab whichever paper is most convenient, and when I'm at home I check the websites of both. Can't say I've really developed a preference yet. and just curious to hear from those of you who've lived in Thailand awhile:

Which paper do you prefer, and why?

How do they differ?

How would you categorize them in terms of liberal vs. conservative?

Do you trust one more than the other for fair, accurate and unbiased news?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression is that the Post I'm reading is the English version of Thailand's main paper, and that The Nation is an English-only paper. True?

Who owns these papers? Thais? International syndicates?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have not developed a preference either. I usually buy one or the other on saturday and sunday. Sometimes I buy both.

I find each to be a quick read and usually not worth the 25 baht I spend to aquire either, I will still continue to buy them as I enjoy flipping through the paper while eating a proper english breakfast.

You can get a free copy at the suk gullivers for reading while you dine.

[color:brown]I prefer "The Nation" to "The Post". I never get involved in Politics on this forum so I will not explain the reason why.[/color]

I prefer neither, but "The Nation" is the lesser of two evils.

Why evil?

Both newspapers are deeply infected with what is properly termed, "Cultural Marxism", sometimes called, "Political Correctness".

It is propaganda, pure and simple.

Propaganda for a statist, post-modern, world view.

They slant every major story into another battle in a supposedly endless war between oppressors and oppressed.

Both papers worship every social-cultural-ethnic group except successful, prosperous, men -- whom they either ridicule or ignore.

You can read more about this world-view:[color:blue]

[/color]

Example: "The Nation", recently re-vamped its business section -- now two sections.

Both sections have lots of photos of women in business-like poses.

The accompanying stories are like press releases proclaiming, "You go girl!"

Almost all of the big stories are something to do with government: here or elsewhere.

Some government official says he doesn't know about some situation, and that will be reported with big coverage.

But, if a company opens a new factory, or a scientist develops a new material, or a doctor invents a new medical procedure, that's not government, and so gets very little news play.

Unless the people involved are women, or some other "visible minority" such as American Negro, poor refugees, or cripples, then, it will be a major story.

Anything related to Muslims will only be reported from the most positive angle, complete with photos of Muslim women in spotless garments, or Muslim "elders" exhibiting grave looks of concern.

If anything is accomplished by an avowed homosexual, it will get big play in either paper.

I never buy either paper.

"The Nation" is delivered to my apartment, every day, free, as part of the service in this building.

Sometimes I glance at the main headline ... before dropping it into the wastebasket.

Instead, I read news on the Internet, in the form of digests and blogs.

I avoid "breaking news" on CNN, GoogleNews, and all the other mainstream media.

I'd rather wait a few hours or a few days until cooler heads have digested and analyzed events.

Here are a few of the sites I look at frequently:

Bangkok & SEA news:

General news & commentary:

So what happens to "The Nation" that is delivered to my door every morning?

If we are eating something messy for dinner -- like pizza -- my girl friend will retrieve it from the wastebasket to cover the table.

Easy to wrap up any mess afterwards.

That old computer saying applies to my copy of "The Nation", "Garbage In, Garbage Out".

Anyone else?

I have the Post delivered to my home each day, usually read it when I get home in evenings. I prefer the Post as I think the business section is better than the Nation and I don't realy care for the politcal slant the Nation tends to have. The important thing to remember when reading either paper that is you need to be able to read between the lines and understand a very subtle code of what is actually being said, especially in the business section.

TH

>Which paper do you prefer, and why?

Bangkok Post. Hands down. Good daily cryptic crossword, tough cryptic on saturdays and a cracking skeleton one on sundays (as well as two others on sunday).

Nation crossword?

1A. Dogs testicles (8) : Ans: Bollocks

-j-

I used to prefer the Nation as I thought they were a little more independent but eventually tired of their anti-Taksin campaign. I only get to town about once a week and usually buy both, probably preferring the Post now because they have more international magazine type articles. Sport and cartoons, the things that really sell papers, also better in the Post

Archived