How did you discover Thailand?

junglesoup

Zombie in another thread got me thinking about how I first came to discover Thailand.

How did you first get interested in Thailand?

When did you come? What did you do when you got here?

I was travelling as I had opted out of uni, and was bored with living in the uk, hadnt a clue what I was doing with my life, was curious to see other places.etc.

I was had been traveeling round asia enroute to OZ. Never made it to OZ. became cunt struck with a thai girl, and just had to stay. In the last 3 and half years I ve probably spent about 2 years in BKK.

I grew to love thailand, and had a nice companion to show me around and keep me on the right track.

That since ended, but I find very hard to live in the UK now, and hope to live in asia about 10 months of the year in the future...I met loads od=f cool people and overall had a good experience, learning curve and all...

P.S It funny how one small decison can change the whole directon of your life. I was planning to leave Bangkok the next day after my first 2 days here. My friend who I met had to bascially drag me out that night, as he was leaving to go home the next day. That night I met my girl and decided to stay a few extra days, which turned into a few extra days and so on. If I had went out that night I would have ended up in OZ, and who knows what would happen after that...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I listened for many hours to a guy I worked with who had been based offshore and did month on month off in Bangkok.

When I was made redundant in 1996 I took off for Dubai, Hong Kong,Thailand and Aus.

I never made it to Aus as I stayed in LOS for six months, been coming back ever since and ended up married to a thai girl in 2005.

In 1997, I went to Phuket with my wife and kid. I avoided the night life for a few nights, but eventually succumbed and woke up in a bargirl's apartment one morning about an hour after our flight to Singapore departed.

In the eighties, a co-worker of mine was constantly telling me about Pattaya and trying to get me to go there with him. If I'd listened to him, my life would have changed 15 years earlier.

Went to Hong Kong and Bali on my first Asian trip (had a ton of AA frequent flyer miles, looked at a map of where I could go, wanted an exotic destination and HK/Bali sounded cool). The CX flight to Bali was almost empty and I was flirting with the flight attendent from Singapore who I totally had the hots for. She said "your a single guy, you like golf, Thailand is the place for you!". I gave her my card but never heard from her after that, though took her advice the next year and have been going back ever since.

LOS?

Always knew Asia is where I'm gonna have the most fun, so after checking out the major commercial centres of bali, jakarta, singapore, hong kong & tokyo the overland trip through malaysia led through krabi to khaosan rd bkk & I soon knew this was for me ;)

Keept exploring including laos, vietnam & cambodia, but LOS has since been the mainstay of my travels & now wife :hubba:

gave her my card but never heard from her after that...

I gave my card to a Garuda flight attendant once, on a flight to Bali. She surprised me by flying in from Jakarta a few days later and showing up at my hotel. I had a business dinner scheduled with my boss that night; had to call the boss and say, "Sorry..."

It turned out to be one of the best weeks of my life, if not the most productive. That girl was insane! And about a 10 in looks.

I first saw it on the TV show 'Whickers World' way back in 81, two years later I arrived, a wide eyed innocent in Bangkok. The first few hours didn't impress me much, but fortunatley Thomas Cook had booked into the infamous 'Nana'. As the daylight faded and the creatures of the night emerged, my opinion changed. That first night was completely awesome, it blew me away, changed my thinking for ever and the rest as they say, is history.

Archived