How did you discover Thailand?

junglesoup

i had yellow fever from a couple of tiawanese gf's.

after i broke up with the last one decided that i needed to visit asia.

i came up with bangkok because it was the only place that i could afford a hotel that would allow me to party the way i wanted, on a students budget. hong kong was my first choice, it just wasn't in my price range.

i was such the geek that i researched bkk for a long time. i lurked on this board back when it was on delphi, and several others. read everything that stickman had on his site, and a few others. everything i read confirmed my decision to go to bkk.

been back 9 times since that first trip. even had the pleasure of working there for 6 months.

with luck i'll be headed back in a few months.

cheers,

saucier

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My dad went to Thailand with his work a long time ago. The next year he also took my mother with him for a holiday ( we where still very young).

When i was about 16 years old we went as a whole family together and i fell in love with the place , just like my dad years ago. Now i'm 25 and i've been tot Thailand 4 times and still love it.

Was as a backpacker who flew into Singapore thanks to United Airlines miles, had to cross through Thailand to get to Burma, and the seed was planted (falling briefly for a girl from Firecats in Patpong). Returned to work in India and Laos, where I made every excuse for frequent LOS visits, and eventually got a professional job in Bangkok a few years ago... Wish I was still there!

YimSiam

Relative newbie. Was on my way to visit little bro in KL about 11 years ago. Always remember being told to stand on a box at Don Muang by a Thai police/immigration chick who must have been about 5 ft tall. There was I towering over her as she checked me out. It felt kinda like a Spinal Tap moment except I didn't have a cucumber wrapped in bacofoil.(if anyone's seen the movie they'll get it)

I vowed to return after that experience. And boy oh boy what a trip it's been.

To get my MD I had the choice to round of my studies with a fieldtrip. Never ever been to a non-Western culture I voted for Kenya but did not establish contact with NGO's in time so I had to switch countries and my professor asked what about THailand? I am still very gratefull to him for that! So I was in no way prepared for Thai culture and suddenly found myself living in BKK for a year. Gosh I didnt even dare to eat out cuz I was afraid I wouldnt find the way back to my apartment...Stocked up on these unedible sweet/salty cookies from the streetmarket. Only to found them eaten by millions of tiny ants the next day...But the second night of arrival I was already rocking and rolling on Patpong...although a bit shocked by the fuck shows which were normal back then. Not that I hadnt seen sex shows before but now I was A Girl Alone in Dark Thailand Where I Knew Nothing About. This was 18 years ago. Have seen a lot of countries eversince but keep coming back to LOS. Once you fall in love with the country there is no way back. Lived there for a few years and keep coming back every year for 2 to 3 months holiday.

I didnt fall in love with the girls but with the boys eventhough I had no sexual attraction with asian guys before. Had 1 Thai boyfriend for 3 weeks and decided that they were not for me.

Its the country buzzing with female energy that got me hooked. Mother Nature, the friendlyness, easy goingness...Just arriving from the plane and sniffing in that BKK air and moist heat, makes me excited.

Archived