How did you discover Thailand?

junglesoup

I was working in Korea in 1988 and had a shitty marriage in the UK. One of the guys I was working with was (and still is) married to a Thai and home in BKK, he suggested I cash in my RnR ticket to the UK and come to Thailand with him instead.

After Korea I was in Japan and every RnR was Thailand, and in 91 I got a job here. That finished in 94 but Thailand was my home base since then.

Over the years I have had projects in Thailand or if no work available I have spent a few months a year overseas, but fingers crossed it appears that I how have a permanent job here now.

As for the ex-wife in the UK, I never saw her again, but in 1995 I recieved a letter at my parents house advising me she had divorced me.

Grounds for Divorce "Missing Presumed Dead"

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1975....kindergarten class

Was looking on a globe and saw Phuket. Said it like it's spelled and thought it was the funniest damn thing ever. Told myself as a 5 year old that I'd go there some day.

20 years later, after reading a story about Thailand in Maxim magazine, I was there.

Landed on Phuket in `92 on a package tour.

I was just getting out of freezing Europe for a few weeks and it was a coincidence that I ended up in Thailand.

Our hotel was in Patong and while I thought it was nice enough, by comparison to other places I had been to, Thailand didn`t impress me all that much then.

cheers

hn

My brother went to LOS when he was 18, a few years ago now! He came back with tales of women, drugs and excessive partying...

I was understandably intrigued...

Years passed...

But i was comfortable and always had a girlfriend, job etc. A nice lifestyle, did Uni, all the usual trappings of modern western life.

I started a doctorate, but soon realised i had had enough of Psychology and peoples problems. I jumped on a plane, with a 'round the world ticket' and a long itinery...

First stop LOS...travelled with my step sister...so really didn't go near any ladies, just did the whole beach island holiday thing. Met a lady or 2...but left for Australia...went around there for a while, but felt a calling back to LOS...came back, picked up with a lady i'd met...travelled to Phuket...stayed there for a bit...went home to the UK, worked for a short while for lots of money...came back...lived on Sukhumvit for a while, but hated it...spent way too much money...and didn't do anything other than party, which got boring after a while...

Decided to get a job here...now work for a Uni. Met the most amazing lady i think i shall ever meet in my life...what's next? I don't know. But marriage is one thing i want to do now, which had never occured to me before...LOS has changed my life for the better...sure, i earned a lot of money in the UK, but i was never happy...fortunately for me i don't have to worry about money too much...but i am way more happy here...i intend to stay and never go home. The only other place i might go is New Zealand, to raise a family i hope...other than that i'm here for the duration.

Took a flight to New York with North West airlines. They were one of the first to introduce frequent flier programs here and they had a double point bonus at the time. Earned enough for a Business class retutn BKK Osaka. Had 3 weeks in LOS and 4 days in Japan and spent more money in Japan. I was with wife of 2 years and we were in Phuket and I was oblivious to what was going on around me. That was until I spotted these to girls on the back of bike smiling at me. Think that's when I caught yellow fever.

Incidently I spoke with a friend yesterday who has never been to Thailand but has heard all about it from me and others. He tells me he is getting ready to board a flight to LOS with about a dozen guys for a 3 day bucks party in BKK. :yikes::yikes::yikes:

last year a couple of old friends were living in BKK and convinced me (and a friend) to come visit them for a few weeks. I had a business I was running, but was really frustrated from a severe burglary I'd experienced just a month before, so I agreed. I'd been toying with the idea of selling my store and playing online poker full time anyway, so it was an oppurtunity to test the waters.

It was a great experience to be able to go where I had friends who knew the ins and outs of the area... and thanks to discovering this board, knew a few things even they didn't know.

I've since sold that business, and we'd planned on returning around this time, but things just haven't fallen into place. I'd try and go a little later in the year, but i'm not sure I want to brave the heat.

very good post js!

i was with my girlfriend when i was 18 and i was engaged etc but still had the drive to go away somewhere due to the fact of shitty weather and people who live where i live.

as i had the gf and car direct debits etc i never got the chance,i fell out with her 4 years later and i had a trade under my belt i kept wanting to go to america but due to money it never happened plus a court appearance for drunk and disorderly and assult was america out the window :banghead:

when i was 24 i saved for a year to go to australia for a year and heard storys of thailand so on the way to oz i went to thailand for 2 weeks,stayed in oz for a year then went back to los.

it changes your thoughts and makes you want to find ways of making money to retire early,i never cared about retirement before this.

im going back to live in oz hopefully in feb as im waiting on my visa,it means im closer to los and should go there 2/3 times a year.

i have the money to live in los for 2 years but i want to think of the long term and use the money to buy a house in oz,that is important to me.

the only bad thing is i like to see the world and would find it hard to go elsewhere.

I always had a fascination for the place. Mostly for it's reputation as a sex centre, but also because I had a friend from there (now a senior economist with the BOT)..

I landed at BKK en route Aust-UK numerous times but never got out. Then aged 38, I finally made it.

Archived