How did you discover Thailand?

junglesoup

Went over with a co-worker who had been coming over for several years prior. Main reason was to celebrate my divorce and party. :beer::beer::sex: Figured one trip. Yea right I was planning my second trip even before I left.

My ex found out and drove her nuts. Seeing how her sister in law is Thai.

Now I have a Thai lady with me here in the states and we will be making many trips back as we have family there and I love it there. Just wish I could find work there. :)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Initially, a stopover for thre days on the way from Europe to downunder. Side trip to CM, didn't like it, thought BKK stank.

Then on an other stopover, again with family, took a sidetrip to a beach down south, loved it, still didn't like BKK. Came back a couple of years later, planning to go back downsouth, but arrived too late at night. Couldn't sleep, jetlag, went for a walk, ended up in Longun.

That was 2000.

Rest is history, see "Stories"

First time in Thailand was when I drove with my then GF (now wife) from Malaysia to Sungai Golok from Malaysia in 1999. Later went to see her family and meet other friends working overseas a couple of times. In 2001 was assigned to Thailand.

I can say, I have never been in Thailand without my wife.

TH

In 1988 at the age of 26 I went to work in Qatar and a lot of the single guys there talked about their visits to Thailand. So on the 21st July 1988 myself and 3 other single blokes made our first visit to LOS. I've been back about 30 times since then, including one visit which lasted 7 years!

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the movie "The BEACH' with leanardo Di Caprio, this was about 7 years agol i said to myself.. "where is the Beach? it happened to be Koh Pi Pi in Thailand, as it was gorgeous. I talked to a friend who was up for the trip. After a little research on Thailand, I actually came across this site in a web search... and the rest is history....

How did I discover Thailand? By the grace of God, with a gentle nudge from the devil! :devil:

I guess good karma might've played into it, as well... eons of good deeds, over many lifetimes... and now I'm going through all that good karma at an amazing burn rate...

YimSiam

It was 1971, BKK was full of GI's on R&R and the town was a veritable whorehouse. I met a girl named Dang and had a great fling locked up in a hotel I can't remember in a part of town I recall even less. I had to leave and was downright heartbroken but I caught the bug.

Some years later i returned to the US, got a teaching job at a big university but still had this aching sense about LOS. Started coming back again 3 years ago and probably will continue to until I can't walk off the plane without assistance.

Archived