What country do you think is more free?

junglesoup

Given the latest posts over the recent weeks of a political nature, regarding the coup, bombings etc, got me thinking about freedom.

What countries do you think is more free for you. Your native land or Thailand. I guess in some way if you want to live in Thailand maybe it provides more freedom than your native land, but thats subjective.

Objectively would you say Thailand is still more free than your native land? I mean maybe for Thai natives the country isnt very free at all.Is open society debate hindered more here than the west? of course it is at the minute...what society is more open. And if Thailand isnt more open then why do many people prefer it to the west. The girls is the easy answer, but I still like other things better aprt from this. I saw a recent article where Thailand has been downgraded to Congo's level of freedom. Thailand has been downgraded to a "not free country" by this organisation who I cant remember the name of. I ll look up the article and post it.

Discussing freedom i admit isnt an easy question as everyone will have a different idea of freedom. So there is no static standard to measure it against.

For example, I regard freedom as simple as going to Lumpini park at Sunrise and going for a walk, people watching, sitting on the grass, relaxing. A freedom I cant enjoy in the UK because the weather is bad 9 months of the year.

I also enjoy the freedom of buying hawker food, at a moments notice when I feel peckish for a few baht.

I know these are simple things but these are the types of things that make me feel more free in LOS than in my native country.

Another thing is the women. The choice of lovely girls.

Great shopping, nice restaurants and som great little bars to have a beer.

Going to beautiful beaches at if you feel like it.

I know these arent major things. However there are cons also. Visa, business setup, marginalised by xenophobic governments. But when weighed in balance it doesnt matter too much.

Of course Thais dont have the same freedom to set up a business as we do in the west? Possibly.

Its a difficult question...but for me personally I feel as if I ve much more freedom than my native land. But these surveys and western societies always say these countries are full of corruption, which is true, but I would rather live in LOS than the UK or any western country.

What do you guys think...?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

heres the article...

Thailand joins Congo as "not-free" countries

Another major setback for Thailand's international standing and reputation as it joined Congo as the newly "not-free" countries this year in a major survey of global freedom released Wednesday.

Freedom in the World 2007, a survey of worldwide political rights and civil liberties done in New York, found that 45 countries are not free, representing 23 percent of the world's inhabitants. About one-half of those living in Not Free conditions inhabit one country: China.

But the same survey said that the percentage of countries designated as free has remained flat for nearly a decade and suggests that a "freedom stagnation" may be developing.

The continued weakness of democratic institutionsâ??even after holding democratic electionsâ??in a number of countries continues to hamper further progress. According to the survey, the number of countries judged by Freedom in the World as free in 2006 stood at 90, representing 47 percent of the global population. Fifty-eight countries qualified as partly free, with 30 percent of the world's population.

Regionally, major findings include a setback for freedom in a number of countries in the Asia-Pacific region, a more modest decline in Africa, and a solidification of authoritarian rule in the majority of countries of the former Soviet Union. Three countries experienced positive status changes:

Guyana moved from partly free to free, and Haiti and Nepal moved from Not Free to Partly Free. Two countries experienced negative status changes: both Thailand and Congo moved from partly free to not free.

Sixteen of Asia's 39 countries are Free (41 percent), while 12 are Partly Free (31 percent) and 11 are Not Free (28 percent).

Freedom House also noted that the trends reflected the growing push back against democracy driven by authoritarian regimes, including Russia, Venezuela, China, Iran, and Zimbabwe, threatening to further erode the gains made in the last thirty years. The pushback is targeted at organizations, movements, and media that advocate for the expansion of democratic freedoms.

Regionally, Asia experienced the largest proportion of lowered scores in 2006. While the dominant development was the military-led coup that ousted Thailand's democratically elected prime minister, other countries previously considered showcases of Asian freedom, including the Philippines and East Timor, also experienced setbacks.

The Nation

http://nationmultimedia.com/2007/01/...s_30024388.php

I know freedom in the UK is being eroded..the 'big brother' state is in full effect...i'm worried about the decline of democracy there and the slow insipid removal of individual rights.

I feel free in LOS, except when it comes to property ownership and business matters, but i tolerate it for the benefits continue to outweigh the annoyances still...i just wish someone in the Thai govt. would get a clue...i'm not holding my breath.

Guest lazyphil

Not strictly true. If you're Afghani, Hi-Jack a plane to stansted airport get given asylum and get a house and mod cons. the uk is free for some!

Archived