What country do you think is more free?

junglesoup

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Before we start on about how free Thai is, Thaksin blocked about 3000 web sites, since the "event" 12 000+ websites have been blocked.

But you can still walk down the street with a beer in one hand and a bar girl in the other. If you don't mind looking like a barbarian.

A country is said to be free or possess freedom when it is run by leader or a government elected by the people.

Many people are confused about elections and democracy, on the one hand, and freedom and liberty on the other.

And that leads the sort thinking errors found in the quote above.

Contrary to bust's assertion, elections and democracy are, essentially, tyranny of a mob.

Just look around.

There are elected governments in all Western countries today: UK, USA, Australia, Canada, Sweden, Norway, etc.

Brazil, Turkey and South Africa also have governments elected by the people.

Are those countries free?

On the other hand, Thailand is run by a military junta which took power by force and guile, not thru elections.

And this is the, what?, 17th or 18th such military government (since the first coup in June, 1932).

So what about freedom in Thailand now?

To determine the answer, just look for yourself.

When people are free to travel and move, they always seek increased liberty.

No Americans are building little rafts, trying desperately to get from Florida into Cuba.

No Brits are packing up their household in order to move from the UK to Pakistan.

When migration is possible, it is always towards more freedom.

So the answer to the OP question -- "What country ...is more free" -- is easy.

Just look at where are hundreds of thousands of men are going to spend their holidays, and choosing to live for their retirement.

Their destinations point to freedom.

AS I said in the original post the freedoms I suggest I have here over the native land are subjective. One mans meat is another mans poison.

I wasnt asking for a standard measure of freedom,as their isnt one. Freedom to one is certainly not to another.

Ironically I feel as if I ve more freedom than a Thai person, and its not my country. I also feel as if I ve more freedom in the UK than a Thai would have, unless a rich thai. The average thai just by earning in baht has already less freedom than us guys holding a major currency. Most Thais cant afford a flight to the UK, US etc whereas we have the freedom to choose to come here or go back to the native land.

In saying that, for example those motorbike taxi guys sit around playing chequers, and drinking chang in the day, make a few taxi trips on a bike. They sit on the street laughing and joking with each other. They arent worried by company targets,paying mortgage and keeping up with the next door neighbours. Maybe I m wrong here...?

I think its a universal law that you cant possess something without being possessed in return.

As much as you possess you are possessed by also.

Example, I say this is my dog. I have him on a lead and I control when he eats and when he goes for a walk. I have him on a lead and he is not free to leave me. But the reverse is also true that while he cant leave me, I also cant leave him.I m enslaved to the dog also.

SO i think its the same with the rat race jobs. The feeling of being in control of your life, that you are controlling everything, but the reverse is also true. The company targets control you also.

This is what makes me think of happy people in poverty. They are living a day to day existence and arent controlled by self created duties that highly strung societies and their people create.

I think freedom is something that exists within the mind and not so much dictated by outer circumstances. This is shown that many of us have a different view on what makes freedom...

My ultimate idea of freedom is being my own boss, working on my own terms,from where I want, to live where I want and have time which I created for my self. I think its a feeling of not feeling at the beckon call of another.

LOS gives me this freedom more than my native country. I like to be able to go out at 4 in the morning and have a beer, eat food. Sit out on the street with an ice coffee at anytime of day or night people watching, meeting people, or chatting up a girl of your choice.

being able to stay in an unexpensive condo with a pool, gym, sauna etc. Going out to choose any international cusine that takes your fancy.

For me this is freedom, and I think its stems from my upbringing in my native land. These were all the things I could nt do.

I came from a town, wet in and cold, full of wankers. You look at these guys and you get a punch. Narrowminded idiots, religious biggots, unwilling to try anything outside their culture, hence no choice of food because their is no marjet for it. Bible belt also meaning you are dealt out the "thou shall" and "thou shall nots"

Also its wet and windy. What I want now and is possible in LOS, is the opposite of what I get in my native land. One more thing are nice, pleasant girls.

However this is a fairly prosperous part of the world, with quite a few rich people, no homeless, no hungry people. But its just not any fucking fun.

Archived