What country do you think is more free?

junglesoup

Khun004 said: So the answer to the OP question -- "What country ...is more free" -- is easy.

Just look at where are hundreds of thousands of men are going to spend their holidays, and choosing to live for their retirement.

Their destinations point to freedom.

I've chosen Thailand for my hollidays and retirement, freedom was certainly not the reason. For a farang like myself, Thailand is anything but free in any way I understand freedom. I couldn't vote in a election even though I may be a long time resident. I don't have freedom of speech (It's illegal to critise the head of state) and unwise to critise the powerfull. I can't even come and go as I please, without the consent of the immigration dept. I can't own land here, or have a majority share holding in a company and now I can't freely transfer capital funds. I've not chosen Thailand because it's free, as it isn't, I chose it because it's cheap. Anyone with substantial funds can lead a great life almost anywhere in the western world, in Thailand those with more modest means can experience the same, that's not freedom, it's economic power.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Khun004 said: So the answer to the OP question -- "What country ...is more free" -- is easy.

Just look at where are hundreds of thousands of men are going to spend their holidays, and choosing to live for their retirement.

Their destinations point to freedom.

I've chosen Thailand for my hollidays and retirement, freedom was certainly not the reason. For a farang like myself, Thailand is anything but free in any way I understand freedom. I couldn't vote in a election even though I may be a long time resident. I don't have freedom of speech (It's illegal to critise the head of state) and unwise to critise the powerfull. I can't even come and go as I please, without the consent of the immigration dept. I can't own land here, or have a majority share holding in a company and now I can't freely transfer capital funds. I've not chosen Thailand because it's free, as it isn't, I chose it because it's cheap. Anyone with substantial funds can lead a great life almost anywhere in the western world, in Thailand those with more modest means can experience the same, that's not freedom, it's economic power.

But in the end is this not a type of freedom yYou can have a lifestyle here that yu can t have in the west. I know what your saying about the drawbacks, but since you choose to live here over the west then surely the pros out weigh the cons?

Otherwise you would choose the west to live...

Archived